I`M SO EXCITED I NEED YOUR HELP!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by STINKY PICTURES, Mar 1, 2008.

1. STINKY PICTURES

STINKY PICTURES TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I`m getting my eos 40d BODY ONLY!!!!! I`m jumping for joy!
    total newbie here....total!!

I`m getting a canon 60mm macro EF -S lens (need it for my real close up shots) unless you have a better idea.

NOW WHATS THE NEXT LENS I NEED??????

I need your help in putting together my system. This will be for indoor photography, to start. Good glass is important but don`t kill me.

also what about high speed memory cards for my camera, how important is that? I`m thinking pretty important.. but let me know please. I have to do this right the first time.

2. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a Nikon owner but Canon glass is neck-and-neck. If you're interested in indoor photography, the 50 mm f/1.4 is a really great portrait lens. It gives you the FoV of a 75 mm on a film camera.

3. Sheriff

Sheriff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats with your new camera!!!
    For indoors you need a fast lens (the wider the max aperture the better), built in image stabilisation ( will reduce the camera shake). Choose the L glass and you`ll get the quality. BTW you can use your EF-s 60mm macro lens for portraits, too. It has a wide max aperture which allows more light on the sensor and blurs the background.

4. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know the Canon line well. Does the 60mm open up fairly wide? If it does, my suggestion regarding the 50mm might be a bad idea.

5. BrandonS

BrandonS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd try doing some research before asking for opinions because you'll eventually get every lens under the sun. Here's a good guide that helped me understand the basics to finding a lens. Find a few lenses that meet your criteria, research each of them in reviews and such, do searches on the forums, then before buying ask. It'll help you out a lot with getting a lens that offers you what you want in your price range as well as giving you the basics behind lenses. Possibly even money from just buying suggested lenses that maybe don't offer what you were looking for exactly.

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/best-digital-slr-lens.html

6. Tiberius47

Tiberius47 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently got the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Great quality lens, professional standard. I'd use this instead of the Canon 50mm f1.8.

It's not quite as fast, but the Tamron lens has better quality glass in it, so you'll get better pics overall. And the tamron is the kind of lens you can leave on your camera all the time.

7. SBlanca

SBlanca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    dont see the rush people have in getting two or three lenses to start off with...

you get your camera and a lens to learn, then you get another once you know everything

8. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 has better quality glass, and better overall pics than the Canon 50mm f/1.8 ???

I'd like to see a review that shows that. I haven't shot the tamron, nor even seen a photo from it, but I find it hard to believe that a tamron zoom can be better than a canon prime.

9. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Having better quality glass alone does not guarantee a better photo. The simplistic optical designs of primes and low element count means they don't need fancy UD/ED glass and other tricks that zooms need. The simpler the design, the less fancy tricks you need to pull for top-notch quality, and the nifty-fifty primes are about as simple as you can get these days. And they deliver top-notch quality.

A Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with 16 elements in 13 groups will need to pull off a lot more tricks to have the same image quality as an EF 50mm f/1.8 with just 6 elements in 5 groups. No UD/ED elements in the 50 because it doesn't need them.

10. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think you would very much regret buying this camera with nothing but a 60mm macro lens. A uni-tasker like that will make your camera almost useless for anything else. The perfect supplement to your macro lens would be a lens with a 18-55 type range, this will give you good general-purpose focal-length. Not being a Canon person I am not familiar with their lenses but this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279582-USA/Canon_8806A002_17_40mm_f_4L_USM_Lens.html should cover it for you.

11. Tiberius47

Tiberius47 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got both the Canon 50mm prime and the Tamron zoom.

The Canon is fast, but I find it hard to focus in low light. Plus, the Tamron has the added flexibility of being a zoom. The Tamron at 50 mm delivers pics just as nice as the Canon prime.