I made a backdrop- is it too busy?

I fall on the dislike side. A little too much color draws my attention.

For me, the purple patches are the most distracting...too dark in value when seen against the pastels...

Thanks for chiming in!

For me, the purple patches are the most distracting...too dark in value when seen against the pastels...
I can't try it now since my computer is down- but when I get around to editing these I will probably try to desaturate the background a bit. Hopefully that will help!

I'm not an expert on portraiture, but personally I do like the background colors, maybe lighten the purple colors some. I think the background matches an Easter theme.

I'd try throwing a little more light at it first.
thats actually a good idea! I liked the way it looked "over exposed" in my test shots. Maybe I can throw a speed light on it, and it will help wash out some color. Thanks!

I'm not an expert on portraiture, but personally I do like the background colors, maybe lighten the purple colors some. I think the background matches an Easter theme.
thank you for responding! I'll definitely try and find a way to address the purple

I'm gonna do what I can for DOF. It really could stand to be bigger, so I'm definitely going to have to find a balance! I'm really wishing I had an 85 f1.8 right now. ;-)

You need a 50mm f1.4g in your life :D They're currently on sale for $350, about $130 off of regular price. ;)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f 1.4G Lens 2180 B H Photo Video
nah. 50 isn't my favorite focal length. Actually, I'm not even on great terms with primes in general. I was just thinking the 85 would give me the look I want. What I REALLY drool over is the 70-200 2.8. Can't even dream of that one this year though. Maybe next!

nah. 50 isn't my favorite focal length. Actually, I'm not even on great terms with primes in general. I was just thinking the 85 would give me the look I want. What I REALLY drool over is the 70-200 2.8. Can't even dream of that one this year though. Maybe next!

OMG, you're missing out girlfriend :D My 2 favorite lenses are the 50 and 85 1.4. The 50 is sharp and cheap and you can almost fake it as an 85... almost. LOL My 70-200 2.8vr2 sits in storage most of the time. I only use it when I need to stalk someone... :eek:

In all seriousness though, if you go 85 go big and get the 1.4. I had both 1.8 and 1.4 but sold the 1.8. Also for some reason, I prefer skin tone colors and contrast from fast prime lenses when compare them with zooms.

OMG, you're missing out girlfriend :D My 2 favorite lenses are the 50 and 85 1.4. The 50 is sharp and cheap and you can almost fake it as an 85... almost. LOL My 70-200 2.8vr2 sits in storage most of the time. I only use it when I need to stalk someone... :eek:

In all seriousness though, if you go 85, go big and get the 1.4. I had both 1.8 and 1.4 but sold the 1.8. For some reason, I prefer skin tone colors from fast prime lenses.
Meh. I am lazy! I've rarely used my 50 since I got my 28-105 and its only 3.5-4.5. I have never caught onto the whole "zoom with your feet" thing, and I find I compose better with a zoom. *shrug* sure, primes are sharper, but I am a happy girl with "sharp enough" mixed with convenience!

Meh. I am lazy! I've rarely used my 50 since I got my 28-105 and its only 3.5-4.5. I have never caught onto the whole "zoom with your feet" thing, and I find I compose better with a zoom. *shrug* sure, primes are sharper, but I am a happy girl with "sharp enough" mixed with convenience!
I'm with you, sister. I love my 24-105, and it loves me back. :)

Okay.. I tried... hahaha It's not the sharpness but the DOF and bokeh that got me to shoot primes. But yeah it's not for everyone. I almost need 3 cameras to shoot a wedding lol

Okay.. I tried... hahaha It's not the sharpness but the DOF and bokeh that got me to shoot primes. But yeah it's not for everyone. I almost need 3 cameras to shoot a wedding lol
I prefer the blur from a longer lens vs using 1.8. That's why I want the 70-200 2.8 best of both world's! Lol

...My 2 favorite lenses are the 50 and 85 1.4....
Gotta second the vote on this one, and specifically the 'D' version. For some reason the new AF-S G doesn't seem to have quite the same colour rendition. I do at least 90% of my studio work with the 85 1.4; you're right Jazzie, the 70-200 does give you a LOT more flexibility, but it also weighs a ton, and unless I'm outside where there's LOTS of room, I find I almost never go past about 100mm...

...My 2 favorite lenses are the 50 and 85 1.4....
Gotta second the vote on this one, and specifically the 'D' version. For some reason the new AF-S G doesn't seem to have quite the same colour rendition. I do at least 90% of my studio work with the 85 1.4; you're right Jazzie, the 70-200 does give you a LOT more flexibility, but it also weighs a ton, and unless I'm outside where there's LOTS of room, I find I almost never go past about 100mm...
Oh, It's not that I never want the 85, but my list is so long! The 70-200 will enable me to do some sports with my kiddos, so it's next. And then a water drop timing setup with a real macro lens, And then since I'll have the 85 covered it will probably be a wide angle and some nice filters for landscapes. then maybe the 85 ;-) I've got my roadmapped for at least 3 years I guess. Lol.

Most reactions

Back