I made the decision

tulla4122

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The last number of days I have done a fair amount of research and took the plunge ( a fairly big one for me at least )
Last evening I ordered the Nikon D90 and two lens's
Nikon/ Nikkor 85mm f 1.8D
Nikon/ Nikkor 28mm f 2.8D

I had found a web site that walked you thru choosing a lense and exactly what each offers. I found it very helpful. I figured the two lens's I chose would give me something I do not already have at a reasonable price. I am very excited about my purchase. The two I chose were not what I had initially had in mind but I think they will be a nice addition. What do you think?

I find it interesting that you went with primes instead of zoom(s). I'm not knocking it at all, just seems that most people start off with zoom lenses. Maybe that's due more to the fact that simple zooms come as a bundled option with a lot of bodies. Congrats on your purchase, and have fun :) I think you'll be quite satisfied with your choices.

I found the information that I reviewed VERY HELPFUL! I have a Tamron 300mm zoom and it is ok for what I use it for. I will admit that prior to my research I was a ignorant about all the different options available. I will be the first to admit that when I got my D40 I went and purhased the biggest zoom I could afford without a whole lot of thought. I am trying not to be so impulsive now when it comes to purchasing new photo " stuff " .

excellent choice...

Nice. I also didn't realize you already had a big 'ol zoom lens too. You'll like the primes.

I think you will find that a 28mm prime lens makes a pretty good "normal lens" on a D90; a lens that will render scenes looking relatively undistorted. Not with a wide angle of view, and not with a selective angle of view, but a pretty good length for a normal, realistic rendering of subjects that are at distances of over 15 feet, out to infinity.

I think with the 85mm f/1.8 lens that you'll find the lens to be pretty selective in its angle of view,and actually too long for much indoor work in small rooms, but perfect for use outdoors, or in larger indoor places like gyms, or lecture halls, meeting rooms, and other places where you are shooting from 30 to 100 feet away and want a good image, even under low light levels. The 85mm will also make a pretty good portrait lens for half-body and head and shoulder portraits, as well as for lovely scenic photos.

Both lenses are small and light and sturdy,and give a LOT of value for their price. The 85 especially, is a very high quality lens for its price. The two primes are also spaced far enough apart to offer really different "looks". And the D90??? You're gonna love it!

I find it interesting that you went with primes instead of zoom(s). I'm not knocking it at all, just seems that most people start off with zoom lenses. Maybe that's due more to the fact that simple zooms come as a bundled option with a lot of bodies. Congrats on your purchase, and have fun :) I think you'll be quite satisfied with your choices.

Yea most start with zooms because of their price/usability ratios. However, some people choose quality over usability. :eek:)

So where would that land the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 or 70-200 f/2.8?

Quality or usability? :D

Most reactions

Back