I miss the day

Don't worry about it. Pursue a new hobby for a while. It won't be long and you will start wanting to take your camera along during your new activities.

sounds like you are due from a vacation. If I did a lot of something all the time I might want a break from I too. Take the wife to Hawaii and have the nerve to NOT take a camera.

This is the exact reason why I refuse to make photography a full-time business. I'm so sorry to hear Robin... I hope you can get over this hump--you're such a talented photographer!

Jake

Perhaps 20 years ago, a model railroader friend of mine decided to open a model railroad equipment manufacturing business. He was formerly a master mold maker/casting expert at some dentistry company. So his skills translated exceedingly well into his new business.

Less than 10 years later, he told me "when your hobby becomes your business, it's no longer your hobby".

Unfortunately, being supposedly older and wiser than he, I didn't listen and decided to go to work for a railroad myself 7 years ago. My model railroading days were long over when I did so, but my 'interest' and 'desire' for trains has gone downhill ever since. The good news, I'm fed up with the place and will be leaving at the end of the year. What's next? Live happily ever after...I hope.

With any luck, somebody may actually PAY for a photo of mine...but I'm not holding my breath, either.

I really miss the day when I was not money driven. I used to love to shoot anything. Now I have lost the the drive and only shoot for money. A couple of models have approached me wanting to elaborate but I kinda turned them down because I want $. I don't feel like leaving my house just to shoot for fun anymore. I wish I am more passionate like I was 4 years ago. Anyone else in the same situation? How do you fix it?
Take on a few shoots that you would like to do for fun without charging your full fee. It doesn't have to be all about money.

You could move to a cabin in the woods, and leave allll of that behind! You know, let your hair get all shaggy...maybe write a manifesto...hunt game, live off the land...no waitr,wait, that was a movie! :applause:
That actually sounds pretty good!!

Take on a few shoots that you would like to do for fun without charging your full fee. It doesn't have to be all about money.
Well there's a pretty face I haven't seen around here in awhile! How ya doin', Kat?!

The only thing that has worked for me in the past with this situation was to stop getting paid. I used to be a professional musician, luthier and woodworker (not all at the same time). I stopped having fun once I started getting paid. When I stopped getting paid, I started havnig fun. Whodathunkit. :shrug:

Sometimes, however, that just isn't an option. If it's not an option, start dressing like a pirate at your gigs. That ought to liven things up a bit!

I know that feeling all to well and struggled with the wanting to just sell my gear and try something new, unfortunately it's all I really know. I found that while I wasn't turning any paying jobs down, my heart wasn't always in the shoots, I still got what the client wanted, but not what I wanted, they pictures started to look uninspired to me. I ended up taking some time to just back into a hobby I had stopped, but I always had a passion for, it helped clear my head, distracted me enough that when I did get back I felt better. I also found it helpful to just grab a camera and one lens, head out and just play tourist, look at the things around your city, or head out on a nature walk and just shoot whatever you see. Basically distract yourself from having to stress over any kind of paid work.

Well there's a pretty face I haven't seen around here in awhile! How ya doin', Kat?!
So much is going on. I am traveling nurse now. I stay in a 2 hour radius of my house for the tax benefits, and I am finishing my masters. My boyfriend and I are about to hit the year mark together, so we are really happy and content. It has been quite the year. A very good one though.

So much is going on. I am traveling nurse now. I stay in a 2 hour radius of my house for the tax benefits, and I am finishing my masters. My boyfriend and I are about to hit the year mark together, so we are really happy and content. It has been quite the year. A very good one though.
Well, good on you!! Sounds like things are going really well for you. My daughter-in-law got her RN/BSN last Spring, and is already working in a hospital the next town over, about a 30 minute drive. Glad to see you stopping by now and again!

I've said this: the amateur envies the professional's skill; the professional envies the amateur's freedom. I set myself a goal of how much to make from photography, once I hit that target I allow myself to shoot creatives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back