I need a book..

STMel03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been looking for a book to better my knowledge on photography...After lots of searching at my local Barns & Noble I still have yet to find a good book.. I'm looking for something thats easy enough to read and understand with lots of good information.. Anyone know of any I should look into?

From one noob to another, Ive been told to start at least with a "magic lantern" book. They might even have one for your camera.

Don't overlook your local library. It's a lot cheaper than B&N. Talk to the librarian. Start with a book which has a title such as 'The Complete Guide . . .' or some such. From there you'll be able to narrow down your specific areas of interest and pick out other books.

Happy New Year.

My favorite book is 'Alpha Teach yourself Black and White Photography in 24 Hours' by Thomas McGovern

It's very easy to understand and does an excellant job of explaing how all the cameras functions works.
It also explains film and ISO. I believe it has a chapter or two about developing and enlarging.

It's fantastic. I would definatley recommend it as one of the first books you read about photography.

Try the digital photography book by Scott Kelby. I found it excellent. Oh and if you haven't got one yet Kelby will insist you buy a tripod (and not a cheap one either).

Thanks for the ideas fellas.. I will look into those books.. The only reason I was going to buy a book was because I have a gift card for B & N.. And I'm already looking for a good tripod on ebay.. What brands should I be looking for?

I dont know if brands are as important as having one that fits your style and price range.
I've put off buying a new tripod for over a year because I just havent found the right one yet.

I'd echo Torus34's suggestion of hitting the local library.

But if you must use that B&N gift card, John Hedgecoe is a often recommended author.

I'm already looking for a good tripod on ebay.. What brands should I be looking for?

I love my Manfrotto/Bogen. They are nearly bulletproof (not that I'd test that, mind you). Get one where the legs extend and clamp, instead of the type where you have to twist everything into place. I prefer it, anyway.

I have also come to love heads with pistol grips, although I can understand if they're not for everyone. They don't work well for, say, panoramic shots...at least, not that I've seen.

Most reactions

Back