I need a Boom...

burnws6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need a boom stand, which is easy to find on BH, but any personal references would be nice.....

But more importantly I need just an arm to hold my strobe and a beauty dish. But I need it to be big...like 10 feet long at least. Anyone know where I can get one?

I've got two. The first one I bought was a cheap one from Opus or Optex...some cheap POS. It works, but it's pretty shaky and while the boom are does hold up a strobe...it's worrisome.

I have another one that I got with a a bunch of other studio gear. It's made by Manfrotto and it's much more heavy duty.

I need a boom stand, which is easy to find on BH, but any personal references would be nice.....

But more importantly I need just an arm to hold my strobe and a beauty dish. But I need it to be big...like 10 feet long at least. Anyone know where I can get one?
For a boom that long I'd look at Matthews gear and counter weights. http://www.msegrip.com/

I've got two. The first one I bought was a cheap one from Opus or Optex...some cheap POS. It works, but it's pretty shaky and while the boom are does hold up a strobe...it's worrisome.

I have another one that I got with a a bunch of other studio gear. It's made by Manfrotto and it's much more heavy duty.

Specs? How big? How much? Thanks man

For a boom that long I'd look at Matthews gear and counter weights. MSE - Matthews Studio Equipment

Don't really have to worry about counterweight because it'll be held by someone. But I've gotten referred to Matthews before. They're not cheap by any means though. Although I might go this route because it is a dangerous piece of equipment after all. Don't want something flimsy holding a strobe over some models head lol

I have two identical rolling boom stands. One, I bought brand new in 1987,and which is still in excellent condition, and a second one I bought in 2002 or 2003 from a professional photographic supply house's rental department, and which has been used really,really HARD. Both still function well--the locks lock, the legs still offer support, the casters still roll, and so on. This boom uses a 15.5 cast-iron counterweight, which has always been plenty for me. I like to have two boom stands: one for a softbox,and another for a gridded light mounted pretty high.

Manfrotto | Heavy Duty Boom and Stand - Black | 085BS | B&H

This model come in at just under $300 with the stand,boom arm,and counterweight. If you already have a good,solid stand that can accept a boom arm, boom arms are even lower cost,and you might not need the stand.

THIS looks similar to the one I have, but mine has the solid orange counter weight like THIS ONE has.

I wouldn't recommend having someone just hold it. When you put a light and a modifier way out on the end of a boom...the cantilevered force is pretty great...and a person holding it would get tired pretty quick. One little slip and boom goes the boom.
If you already have a heavy duty light stand, all you would need is the boom arm and the adjustable 'boom arm holder' thingy.
Some sandbags for the stand would also be a good idea.

Most reactions

Back