I need a "check your ISO tattoo".

leighthal

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One step forward, two back this week. I went to take kayaking pictures of my kids. Spent the whole (sunburning) day taking what I thought were awesome pictures. SIGH..... I forgot to move my ISO back from the night before. Worse yet is I was thinking to myself that the exposure was weird. I figured it was from the sun as it kept going in and out from clouds like a roulette wheel or from the glare on the river. Did I once check my settings? pfffthhhhhh Lesson #256456 learned!!!

No need to CC as I can probably sum it up as 1600 ISO? what the hell were you thinking. Hot spots galore!

The pics that I would have liked..... if I wasn't an ISO knob.....

3675361399_a8829568b9_o.jpg

2. I found this one funny.
3676173740_ff9fabf2b3_o.jpg

Join the club. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. I try to remember to crank it back before putting the camera to bed for the night and before turning it on in the morning, but I still forget occasionally. I wish it automatically reset on power-down.

You can always get a camera that shoots at ISO 1600 and looks perfect. The 5DMk2 or D700 come to mind. :p

I hate it when that happens though. When you're lining up your shot, just remember to glance at your camera settings in your view finder. It's easy enough to do. I always start from the left, and quickly scan right looking for anomalies. That's how I avoid making such mistakes.

Ahh.. that definitely sucks! But, hey, I have certainly been there. I shot a practice engagement session fairly recently, and I shot them at ISO 3200 (as I was experimenting with the ISO expansion the night before). Fortunately, I realized after about 20 shots and still managed to get a few keepers.

Anyway, good shots despite that fact. Thanks for sharing!

The images look great. Just be glad you were able to capture them.

Did this the other night while shooting birds at sunset. The next day I was shooting thunderclouds with bright sun on them. Grrr.

Also, tharmsen:

"All your base are belong to us." - Unknown

It's not unknown at all. It's from a game called Zero Wing .

Did this the other night while shooting birds at sunset. The next day I was shooting thunderclouds with bright sun on them. Grrr.

Also, tharmsen:

"All your base are belong to us." - Unknown
It's not unknown at all. It's from a game called Zero Wing .
I know it's from that game, but who authored it? Games don't write themselves. :) If you can answer that, you'll win the prize!

It's comforting to know I am not alone in my idiocy. I hope I have learned my lesson since that tattoo might be a bit garish. ;)

If your camera has a two button reset, some/most nikons do, get used to using it. I have done this in the past and it always upsets me. I am always "wow how am I getting such awesome sutter speeds" dur dur......

Watch pro golf sometime, if you don't already.

Each player has a "pre-shot routine" they go through every time they address a golf ball. When they are doing that they are running through a mental checklist. For most pro's its no longer a concious, words in the head, type of thing. It's ingrained, automatic.

Pro photographers also have a 'pre-shot' routine. Plus, they are much more aware of all the information displayed in the viewfinder and quickly check the 5 biggies. SS, F-stop, ISO, meter mode, light meter.

With many Nikons the place in the viewfinder that could report the currently selected ISO, is set by default to display how many continuous shots can be taken before the buffer fills. In the menu's you can change it to display the current ISO instead.

Don't know about Canon or other makers stuff.

Practice a 'pre-shot' routine until it becomes automatic every time you pick up your camera.

Hope that helps.

Pro photographers also have a 'pre-shot' routine. Plus, they are much more aware of all the information displayed in the viewfinder and quickly check the 5 biggies. SS, F-stop, ISO, meter mode, light meter.

:thumbup:

Don't worry, you are definitely not alone. I have been shooting for 23 years now, and had the pre-shoot routine down pat....until I moved to digital. ISO & WB kicked my butt for a couple of years while I messed up some nice shots....now these are the first things on my run-down every time. Both of those settings are in the same window on the bottom back of my camera, and that is the first place I start before scanning the top screen.

BTW, I think the shots came out pretty good. Yes, the highlights are blown in the first one, but it could have been much worse.

I've been caught out too when I've seen something and just grabbed the camera for a burst before the bird, rabbit or whatever which is just outside and gets away. However, I am usually looking at the SS and the apeture in the viewfinder. If the meter is whacky for what I "think" it should be, eye right to the ISO, it's usually the culprit.

Most reactions

Back