I need a (fairly cheap) camera that doesn't use batteries

snowboard100dps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am heading out on a trip to Africa with my church and I am not sure I will have acces to batteries (actually I'm pretty sure that I won't have access) so I need to buy a good reliable camera that can operate completey independant of bateries. It should also be fairly inexpensive because I don't have much $$.

Thanks for any advice

Get one of the older manual cameras. They take a watch battery but those last for a long time. The only thing you'd have to worry about then is the film. Check out the Canon AE-1. You can get those al over the place on ebay or at local camera shops.

Pentax Spotmatic
Pentax K-1000
Nikon FM, FM2, or FM2n

These all use a small battery for the meter, but it will last for years if you remember to put the lens cap back on. The cameras will function (other than the meter) without batteries.

If it wasn't a question of $$ I'd suggest a Leica SM. :wink:

I second the older manual cameras... They are also less likely to attract unwanted attention, affordable enough to carry a spare, tough, and compact.

My personal favs are the Spotmatics and K1000 ( I collect pentax ). The batteries in either are only used to power the light meter. Yesterday, i was headed out to shoot some pictures but noticed my Spotmatics battery had died. Gave me the opportunity to get reacquainted with one of my old selenium light meters ( which also do not require batteries ).

IIRC, the canon ae-1 will not operate without batteries. I'll have to pull mine out to check

Have fun in Africa.

forgot that I traded my AE-1 in a few months ago. I pulled the battery from my canon A-1 ( assuming similar cousin in design ) and nope.... I can't operate it without the battery.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back