I need a list of video tutorials for photography

hollyfields

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a beginner photography, but I'm really interested in learning everything about it and really improving until I can master the type of images I have in my head.

My aunt gave me her old Canon 40D since she upgraded, so lucky me.

So I'm looking for some videos (dvd's maybe?) that could help me learn how to master photography, and of the specific camera the 40D.

Any ideas?

Stop being sarcastic.

I've tried google, and it's a hodgepodge of information.

I DONT want to watch videos on youtube.

I am looking for professional dvds that show you information over 3 hours of time. I've seen them in the photography stores, I'm just looking for the best ones in my case.

I can't really help you in finding video tutorials, but if your goal is to learn photography, you should start by reading your camera's manual (you can find it online too if you don't have it), and then read a book or two about photography (depending if that's your kind of medium). But most importantly, start shooting as much as you can!

I think iflynething was joking.

He was :)

Look at Understanding Exposure. Great read.

I like books the best so you don't have to rewind a video or DVD to try on the camera.

As for the 40D specific, look at the Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Canon EOS 40D (9781600593277): Rob Sheppard: Books guides. They are great at going well beyond the user's manual and explains everything the camera can do. You just have to apply the concepts and get experience.

Honestly, I think your best bet if going and shooting and learning the camera. Learn it without book. Learn it without DVD's. This way a DVD is not teaching you a technique it wants you to know/learn, you are able to find how you shoot and not "by the book."

Hope all goes well.

You BEST post some pictures once you get the hang of it too!

~Michael~

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It will take more than DVD's to learn photography.

And there is no such thing as MASTERING photography, Photography is Art, Art cannot be perfected however It can have a single person who is favoured above the others (which is all individual opinion!)

However there is ways to help you USE your camera better, not become a Better photographer.
You either have the skill of photography, or you dont!
It is all about Creativity, Composition and the rest is down to the camera (well technically you but the in-camera settings for capturing the light.)

Photography is a life long learning curve, You should NEVER settle in photography, Your style should always change if your hoping to be the best.

Along with photography, There is also photoshop you must learn to get the most out of your Photograph.

I myself am a Graphic Artist who likes photography, I take photography for the aim of editing the image later to enhance

I have been involved in Photoshop for 3 years, but only really the last year I have been using it almost seriously, I am still learning in the area of Photoshop For photography (I like to class photoshop for different things as it is Such a huge range!!
There is Architects, 3d Modellers, Photorealistic artists, Web designers, Banner design/ Sign design, Photography, Video, Animation Etc... there is too many fields that can use photoshop that make it almost impossible to learn how to use it for EVERYTHING, once you learn the tools and their use, You can do most of what you want anyway.

Too long, didn't read?
Photoshop goes hand-in-hand with Photography, Learn them both

Books:
How to Cheat in Photoshop (CS3) - works for all versions of photoshop tbh.
Photoshop Bible
Revision3 > PixelPerfect, Watch these, they get a new episode every... Tuesday I think.

Understanding exposure- Brian Peterson
The Digital Photography book 1 - 3 - Scott kelby
These should be good guides to start you off

I am also HOPING to create a series of photoshop tutorials from beginner to semi-Advanced level (for photographers.)
I am starting as soon as I get a good Mic for my Laptop.

Most reactions

Back