I need a new computer

Now .. I am just wondering why a lot of corporate do not buy machines that cost $1000 or $1500 since their PCs is only for kids, grandma and are junks.

First, corp PCs are usually designed different, lacking multichanel sound, 3D video, modems, etc etc, which can significantly lower their cost.

Second, my company has hundreds of machines out there in corporations which are much more expensive than you might think, as a matter of fact I have one to deliver today over $1500, two after that over $900.

Schools are the real cheapies, of course the last batch of 50 we sold one of our school districts had no DVD drives, no floppies, very low end video cards, small cases, etc. They were still well over $500 each with no OS.

Allan

There should be a sticky thread named "PC vs Mac" and people could just express their opinions there. Yea it would probably get nasty from time to time, but it would be contained there... hopefully.

kind of funny though how this thread just keeps going and going even without any of the needed response from the OP.

Now .. I am just wondering why a lot of corporate do not buy machines that cost $1000 or $1500 since their PCs is only for kids, grandma and are junks.

First, corp PCs are usually designed different, lacking multichanel sound, 3D video, modems, etc etc, which can significantly lower their cost.

Second, my company has hundreds of machines out there in corporations which are much more expensive than you might think, as a matter of fact I have one to deliver today over $1500, two after that over $900.

Schools are the real cheapies, of course the last batch of 50 we sold one of our school districts had no DVD drives, no floppies, very low end video cards, small cases, etc. They were still well over $500 each with no OS.

Allan

The thing you're forgetting about corporate isn't just about part selection but also reliability. A lot of businesses go with Thinkpads not for any kind of specific power but because they know that the Thinkpads will keep on ticking. Why is this so important? Because if a computer goes down, they still have to pay the person who worked on it while they go and fetch another computer for them. This is besides all the data on the machine that needs to be restored for the worker to resume work. Oftentimes the cost of replacing the machine far, far outweighs the cost of a brand new machine so businesses try to get the best of the best while still getting rid of unnecessary stuff like better video cards not because of cost necessarily, but because they don't want their employees having fun with company machines ;)

kind of funny though how this thread just keeps going and going even without any of the needed response from the OP.

funny how that happens sometimes, innit? :lol:

Hi,

First off, sorry that so many people have decided to hijack your thread to spill their views on PC Vs Mac. It sort of reminds me of the entertainment industry at award shows. I really just want them to get their award and move on, but some of them take the opportunity to tell us all their views on world hunger, politics, or religion.

Anyway, I am not a Mac person, but I can share a couple of things with you. If you are working with clients, I would suggest thinking of a dual monitor setup. I find it works well for me. I sometimes position one screen to face the family and the other to face me. This allows me to mirror the screens and show them exactly what I want them to see without them all crowing around my side of the office. Depending on your office setup, this may work for you. You could even look at articulating arms for the monitors of a dual monitor stand.

If you are leaning toward a macbook, then consider an external monitor for the office. A larger screen can be very useful and will also offer the dual monitor setup.

i read a few of the early responses and was quickly infuriated. this rumor that "macs are overpriced" needs to be killed. this is simply a MYTH. im in college, and in our computer science courses one of the first things the professors stress is that in the long run, both macs and PC's cost the exact same. mac's are more expensive in the beginning only because they come with everything. power, technology, reliability and beautiful design. PC's need upgrade after upgrade. im not even gonna get into the whole Macs actually work discussion because bitter PC users seem to be oblivious to the fact that their PCs are constantly crashing, need formatting, need restarts, virus scanners, malware removers and a host of other crap to keep them running. im not even gonna bring up vista because its self explanatory. plus keep in mind, ive never had to install a driver for anything in my life. You bitter PC users need to accept the fact that Macs JUST WORK....PERFECTLY....EVERYTIME.

Now that i blew off some steam, to address the original question.... for the best bang for your buck, go with the new Unibody Macbooks. They're powerful, gorgeous and also eco friendly. Not to mention that new glass trackpad and multi touch four finger gestures blow my mind. If you've never had a Mac before, get ready to be blown away by how perfectly everything works. i own a 24" iMac as well as a Macbook Air.

If you dont mind spending a little bit more, get the iMac. It is basically the God of desktop computers. I would not recommend a Macbook air though, i use it only for taking notes in class. Its really not that practical if you dont already own a "main" computer at home. think of it as a netbook. a really expensive and thin netbook lol.

Fanboy?

Macs don't always work. It's a brilliant marketing slogan that mindless zombies like to repeat to try and reinforce the myth that a Mac is better than a PC.

They're the same.

You can get an equally specced PC desktop for cheaper than a Mac. It'll even share similar brands as far as parts go. Of course you're not going to have certain amenities, but if you're building for outright speed and don't care about a glass screen, multi touch pads, backlit keyboards, etc, etc... then you're going to pay less when it comes down to just pure computing power.

It's a fact. Price out a case, MB, processor, memory, HDD, GPU, power supply, and all the basic necessities and you'll have a cheaper Win box for the price of a Mac.

Macs don't always work. Just go to any Apple support forum. I had to reinstall OS X last weekend because of a major crash. Repairing disk permission and the disk itself didn't do anything. Vista, which is also on my MBP is still running fine. Kind of funny, right?

I've had a MBP that I got new with crooked keys on the key board. Two refurbed MBP's with screen issues, a power button that fell down into the case, an Apple developed program for Apple's OS X that was very unstable, Photo Shop CS3 that crashed more on OS X than Vista, and other problems here an there.

Nothing works 100% of the time. If you believe that it does, then you've fed into the marketing and Apple has done their job at recruiting a loyal customer. AKA: Fanboy.

Edit: And please explain why PC's need upgrade after upgrade after upgrade? This is usually for gamers who constantly need the best to run programs at max settings.

I have a 3.0ghz P4 with 512mb RAM I use at work and it works fine. It has an integrated GPU. I don't game, it's 4 years old or more, and it works fine. Why do I need an upgrade?

Wow, only a mac huh? Okay, I'm gonna buy one aswell so nothing against that. Just by yourself an Imac, it's good and it's a mac.

Replacing harddrives in Apple laptops easy? Next time I have a iBook G4 come in I will give you a call :)

Allan
Yea, I meant to clarify that NEW laptops are easy. I've seen the old iBooks, and that's definitely a stupid design.

Village Idiot, im talking strictly from experience. When i was 8 years old, i got my first computer a PC. I was a PC until i turned 18 and got my first mac. I will never go back to PC ever again. Macs do "always work". Im a fanboy because their products ALWAYS WORK. i don't get frustrated working with a mac like i do working with a PC. everything is drag and drop. I dont need to install any drivers ever, working with Images coulnd't be easier on a mac. The fact that you can drag stuff around is ideal for a photographer especially as im always taking images from Aperture and iPhoto and throwing em into photoshop and into emails and back out again.

Ever since i've had my iMac ive never had any problems whatsoever. Ive never had to restart my computer. To be honest its been on, non stop for about 5 or 6 months now, with no problems.

How many tiimes have you restarted your PC? How many blue screens of death have you seen? How much time do you waste waiting for your virus scanner to download new updates and scan for viruses? How much older do you get waiting for your comptuer to find adware?

Cmon man, Windows SUCKS. Stop hating on people who love their Macs. I LOVE my Macs because it has done me good. I have ZERO complains.

and BTW, my loyalty isn't to the brand. I go with what is the best. I cheer for the winning team. The day Microsoft makes a product that is superior to Apple like they did in the 90's, i will switch back. Im not saying that day will never come, i just haven't seen it yet.

Village Idiot, im talking strictly from experience. When i was 8 years old, i got my first computer a PC. I was a PC until i turned 18 and got my first mac. I will never go back to PC ever again. Macs do "always work". Im a fanboy because their products ALWAYS WORK. i don't get frustrated working with a mac like i do working with a PC. everything is drag and drop. I dont need to install any drivers ever, working with Images coulnd't be easier on a mac. The fact that you can drag stuff around is ideal for a photographer especially as im always taking images from Aperture and iPhoto and throwing em into photoshop and into emails and back out again.

Ever since i've had my iMac ive never had any problems whatsoever. Ive never had to restart my computer. To be honest its been on, non stop for about 5 or 6 months now, with no problems.

How many tiimes have you restarted your PC? How many blue screens of death have you seen? How much time do you waste waiting for your virus scanner to download new updates and scan for viruses? How much older do you get waiting for your comptuer to find adware?

Cmon man, Windows SUCKS. Stop hating on people who love their Macs. I LOVE my Macs because it has done me good. I have ZERO complains.

On my 17" Dell notebook, I've had Vista since the February after launch and have no virus scans or adware scan on it. It still works flawlessly. I never restart it, just close the lid.

I'm not hating on any one that loves their Mac. You obviously don't do enough to where you'll have problems. Any machine used to browse the net, check email, and edit photos is not doing anything that requires a huge load on the system.

I have three Dells, an HP Server (find me an Apple server for $499), and a Macbook Pro. The MBP is running Vista and OS X. I also run Ubuntu, XP, and Windows Home Server. If Apple products always work, I wouldn't have had to reinstall OS X this weekend. I see that you don't have problems with your computer, but do yourself a favor and remove the blinders. Go look at apple support forums. If all Apples always worked, you would never see a problem.

Hell, go on Apple's website and look up the mini display to dual link DVI adapter for their new unibody MBP's; almost every user has problems with it. I'm scared about having a 30" monitor.

Either way, regardless of whether or not you choose to recognize the fact that no software company/computer company is perfect doesn't mean it's not true. It just means you're being ignorant to the facts.

Apple Notebooks - Mac-Forums.com
Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

I'm a mac user myself. I have been working with them since the early 90's. Everyday... so I guess I have experience too. I've had great computers and a few lemons over the years. Every computer i've used has crashed sometime. 100% of them. Some more than others, some hardly ever. So no, they don't 'always' just work. Once I had a computer that would crash about 6 times a day minimum (at work). I almost picked it up by the handles and tossed it once.. luckily I stopped myself before I could swing it..and the IT guys got the hint and replaced that POS.

..but yeah.. I love using Macs and don't think I would switch to something else, but they're just computers with problems of their own. Your computer hasn't crashed on you? Personally, I think you are lucky and got a good machine, or you just haven't been using it long or hard enough. My laptop is like that. Never really gave me problems, but my current desktops crash sometimes. (work and home). But for the most part, they do what I want them to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back