I need a new lens!

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's the problem, I have a Sigma 70-300mmlens and it's fast becoming my walkabout lens over my Canon 28-105mm, doesn't sound like too much of a problem yet eh! The thing is that I have shakey hands and anything over about 150mm has some pretty noticable bluring resulting in lots of ruined shots which should have looked good (well, maybe not but at least they would have been blur free!). Basicaly I'm loosing about 50% of my shots to this at the moment so Image Stabalisation is a must for any new lens, I want one in the same focal range, around 70mm at the low end and at least 300mm at the long end. Now the real crux of the problem, I'm not a rich man and I can only afford £300 MAXIMUM for a 70-300 IS lens, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get/where to get it from? Is this asking a bit too much for the amount of money I've got?

Would a monopod be out of the question ? You wuld be able to keep the lens you already like, and get the added stability you are looking for.

hmm, I could do but I'd rather not as I find them inconvenient when I'm out shooting, it also means losing those shots that are only there for a second or 2 when you drop the leg on it. I take it that suggestion means that I'm asking for a bit too much for £300!

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/70-300do/
I can't find a price, but it's not all that expensive, as lenses go.

What shutter speeds are you typically shooting at? The rule of thumb (for hand holding) is to use a shutter speed that is equal to or faster than the reciprocal of the focal length. So at 150mm, you should be using a shutter speed of 1/150 (or faster).

Now if you are shooting with a digital SLR that is not full frame. 350D, 20D, D50, D70 etc. They say that the number should be multiplied by the crop factor (1.5 or 1.6). So at 300mm on a 350D, your shutter speed should be 1/480 or faster.

Of course, with IS you can get two or three stops slower.

Ouch, that lens costs between £800 and £1000 depending on where you look! A bit out of my budget I'm afraid but it's something I can drool at for a while. That page you likned to did mention a '75-300 IS' but it seems to be a discontinued product, you don't happen to know where I might be able to find one do you?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back