I need a new picture hosting site

STINKY PICTURES

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I`ve been using the same picture hosting site for about 5 years. And I love the place. The guy who owns it give you tech support like non other. I mean he answers emails in a flash. Hes even helped me with my website! HTML..... put in music for me done all types of stuff. Even a template! For nothing. So I really love the guy. But hes moved his place to expand a few times and seems that his last move has done some strange things to my pictures. I see it, but he seems to think it may be more on my end. We also got cable internet at the same time so I don`t know. He calls it a compression problem. I take my pics as big as my camera will allow which is hugh, and I use a tripod, set the camera at ISO 100. Then i crop them to about 800 X 600. Many times my important shots (of course) seem sort of wiggly or funny. Like i said i hate to leave the guy but i`m seriously considering it. His price is so cheap so its not a price issue either. I really feel loyal to him, but its a picture thing, and pictures are my business. I sell on ebay and its highly competitive in the field I`m in.

So I`m thinking of giving a new picture hosting place a test run. boy i feel guilty. but i got to do it. then again maybe when i get my new camera and new software that may help. so maybe a new host is only a temp. solution. Any suggestions?

I pay $8.00 a month for the service.

smugmug is good, pbase is another.

What I tend to suggest is that you continue using your current web provider becuase it is free, but just remote link your pictures from another site like flickr. At $25/year for a pro account you have no limits and auto generates 4 sizes of each picture you upload from a thumbnail to original size.

Automatically generates slideshows for you, as well as letting you create sets and collections to organize your pictures.

BTW, I did not look at your site or anything, but posting full size pics on a website is a recepie for lost interest fast. The average wait time for a page should be under 3 seconds... else the viewer either gets bored or thinks something is wrong and goes somewhere else.

I also use smugmug

I have Fotki. It's great for dumping tons of family/baby pictures into, but not so great if you're trying to make some sort of artistic portfolio site. Your presentation options are really limited. It's an absolute mess right now, which is why I don't have it directly linked. Too much shooting and not nearly enough time to organize stuff, lol. My other favorite is flickr. I'm probably going to keep Fotki for the bulk baby/family stuff, but then setup a separate flickr account for my more artsy stuff where I have more control over presentation and layout, etc.

Flickr is great but only if you get a Pro account. They can get touchy however about you direct linking to your own pictures on there (even though you paid for a pro account) without backlinking to them.

I just signed up for a Flickr pro account today. Have been using the freebie for a couple of months but needed some of the advantages of the paid account.

Most reactions

Back