I need a new slr set up

DaytonLax14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wanting a new camera st up for about $500-600. I need an slr that takes great and extremely clear action shots, especially sports. I do not know anything about slr cameras, so please help me out on what you reccomend and some good web sites to buy from. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Don't mean to start out negative, but I think it might be very tough to find an acceptable dslr set up for sports for under 600. You can get a good body such as the XTI for under that price but IMO one of the most important aspect of a good action photo taking setup is a quality, fast-focusing telephoto lens. The other important feature you want to have is a fast frames per seconds rate, but you can't get that for your budget.

For the Canon line, USM (ultrasonic motor) focusing is basically required if you want to take pictures of things that move as fast as athletes. I would recommend the 85mm f1.8 USM as a bare minimum at 350-400 bucks for the lens alone. But then you might want to get a longer lens or a zoom for more versatility and the price just goes up from there...

can you point me to some good websites to purchase cameras from?

I can't comment on price or the site (I am in the wrong country) but the Canon XTi - also called the Canon 400D in Europe - is a very good DSLR.
Its got a good frames per second rate which will work for motion shots (I use mine for wildlife) and also has good noise reduction in it.

The kit lens that comes with it is good for starting to learn how to use the DLSR - however for sports Nasir is right in that you do need something longer and faster. Seeing as the camera body and kit lens has eaten up your original budget I am guessing that you might not have the funds now for more kit - don't worry about that just concentrate with learning how the camera works - this will help you a lot when you come to choosing a new lens as things like aperture values and focal length will mean more to you to allow you to decide which to save for

If your looking for sports I don't think that that camera would have enough FPS to shoot good action shots imo. I would have a look at the Canon 40D if you could stretch your budget that far.

Ben

If your looking for sports I don't think that that camera would have enough FPS to shoot good action shots imo. I would have a look at the Canon 40D if you could stretch your budget that far.

Ben

Since when is sports shots only about how many shots you can take in a second? It only takes one.

thank you for all the opinions/suggestions.

One very well-timed shot...or a burst of 5-10 shots, one of which will be timed perfectly. I think that's the basic idea.

I think the basic idea is to be able to afford a lens that will even stop sports action, which the plain-jane consumer zoom lens will not in anything but direct, midday light. And if you're already stretching it with an XTi, then a 40D won't help anything.

That being said, my camera has only 3FPS and I've had no issues with the few sports shots I have taken. People used to shoot sports with manual focus, manual exposure, and manually winding the film (less than 1FPS even when prefocused and exposed), and still managed to get keeper shots. So to ever say "that isn't enough FPS" is just silly.

You can try here online http://www.bhphotovideo.com/. Best advice is go to a BestBuy if you have one near by and, try the cameras in your hands and, see which you like best. If you dont have a BestBuy try a local camera store. Buty from them if there price isnt much more than the online store. And if you find a really cheap price on what you want online go here before asking us or buying http://www.resellerratings.com and, look them up.

Most reactions

Back