I need a portable flash suggestion

that would make more sense then. 36 didint seem reasonable for real use.

how many is to many in a row?

I usually take 3 or 4 shots of each pose, maybe double that or triple that if I use different angles but I dont do that to often. Then were off to the next location and/or pose. :) I range from 150 to 250 pictures in an hour session. it may seem like a lot but they are in sets of 3 or 4 of almost the same thing, just slight differences in facial expressions, usually there is 1 they love and the rest are forgettable which is why I do it the way it is, want to make sure I get that one they love.

One trick with some Nikon flashes (SB900 for instance).. is that you can fire them fast and furious indefinitely if you use an external battery pack... It is the batteries that get hot... not so much the flash unit itself. Don't know if that is true of the Canon's or not....

Yup, I think my record is 400 in 2 hours. the 150 to 250 is about 40 to 72 unique shots, and I usually end up with a list of 20-50 pictures they love, which greatly helps me sell the press printed albums that start off with 20 pages/20 pictures.

GerryDavid said:
Yup, I think my record is 400 in 2 hours. the 150 to 250 is about 40 to 72 unique shots, and I usually end up with a list of 20-50 pictures they love, which greatly helps me sell the press printed albums that start off with 20 pages/20 pictures.

That's a lot. You prob cooked the flash tube on
Your vivitar. You might want to get some mono's and a power pack.

400 pics in 2 hours? Sounds like they hold up to Spray and Pray shoots?

GerryDavid said:

Why not look into this suggestion and look at lights that include fans to keep them cool and can survive that type of shooting. At 200 shots an hour you're looking at roughly 3.33 shots a minute. That might not sound like a lot until you figure you're shooting faster than that with moving everything around and not constantly shooting a little over 3 shots a minute. How many sets of batteries do you go through? You could get a set of "studio" strobes and even if you're shooting on location, you can purchase batteries that will give you the option to step away from a wall outlet. The down side is that the setup will be heavier, but you can find something like an adorama flashpoint monolight that's 150w/s for $100, IIRC.

It just sounds like a larger light would be more helpful than buying more speedlights.

400 pics in 2 hours? Sounds like they hold up to Spray and Pray shoots?

shesh, how many times do I have to say this, I do about 3 to 5 of each pose/location to make sure I get a facial expression that they like. its not 400 unique shots. :) Its a technique I learned from the wedding photographer I studied under that has been successful for me.

GerryDavid said:

Hmm, possible I guess. I usually use 1/16th power through 1/4th power, sometimes 1/2 but not to often. the cycle time just takes to long. the flash cycling time probably saves me from frying it. :)

I use regular duracell AA's, I found rechargeables were damaging the flash since they seem to swell after they were freshly charged?

A set of 4 aa's lasts me probably 2 or 3 shoots. I use 1/16th and 1/4th power most of the time.

once the battery tester puts them on the bottom of the top line I change them out since half drained batteries takes to long to charge up.

GerryDavid said:

Why not look into this suggestion and look at lights that include fans to keep them cool and can survive that type of shooting. At 200 shots an hour you're looking at roughly 3.33 shots a minute. That might not sound like a lot until you figure you're shooting faster than that with moving everything around and not constantly shooting a little over 3 shots a minute. How many sets of batteries do you go through? You could get a set of "studio" strobes and even if you're shooting on location, you can purchase batteries that will give you the option to step away from a wall outlet. The down side is that the setup will be heavier, but you can find something like an adorama flashpoint monolight that's 150w/s for $100, IIRC.

It just sounds like a larger light would be more helpful than buying more speedlights.

Here you go, Buy.com - CowboyStudio Dual Power AC/DC 110v Mettle 600W Flash Strobe Light w/ Rechargeable Battery Pack.

I don't know the seller but I have one of these, I wouldn't drop it but it's pretty rugged and if you're going to use it at full power I'd get an extra battery. I haven't run mine dry but with your shooting style it wouldn't hurt.

Full power cycle is around 2 seconds but at 600 ws I doubt you'll be using it at full unless you're trying day for night shots.

The page says cycle time is 2-7 seconds. Any idea what the GN is? It says 300-600 watts, but im not sure how to compare that to guide numbers. :)

Look into batteries like Sanyo Eneloops. They are slow discharge batteries and act like AA's in flashes rather than standard rechargables. They're about $10 a set, but totally worth it.

I wouldn't purchase anything through cowboy studio personally. They've proven to be a pretty terrible company.

bad how? customer support, quality?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back