I need advice and I thank you in advance

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dlubin, Oct 15, 2017.

1. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I also recommend using GPS to keep track of where you are on the route the CZ takes.
    Its also kind of fun to see how fast the train is going though the fastest the CZ is allowed to go is 79 mph.
    GPS also allows you to anticipate when the train crosses creeks and rivers along the route.

Once the CZ gets to the Gross Reservoir Dam, we can see the dam out the right side of the train, it is close to South Boulder Creek most of the way to the Moffat Tunnel. The train crosses South Boulder Creek several times.

Immediately on exiting the Moffat Tunnel the Winter Park Ski Resort is on the left side of the train.

After the Fraiser/Winter Park stop the route joins the Fraser River and goes through Fraser Canyon.

A couple miles after the Granby stop the route @ the Fraser River join up with the Colorado River that starts some 35 miles north of the route at the top of the western side of the Continental Divide. The Colorado is on the right side of the train and is rather docile so close to its headwaters.
    Some 6 miles later the train crosses the river so its then on the left side of the train.

Leaving Hot Sulphur Springs the train enters the 1.5 mile long Byers Canyon.

Some 3 miles past Kremmling the train enters the better known, more spectacular but isolated Gore Canyon.

Just before Gore Canyon is a wide docile part of the river that rafters are often seen on. The rafters often turn their backs to the train, pull down their pants, and 'moon' the train.

Building the rail line through Gore Canyon was a significant technological feat back in the late 1800s when it was first constructed. Gore Canyon has some Grade V rapids that accomplished kayakers like to tackle. Gore Canyon is at it's most spectacular during the spring melt of the snow pack.
    There is a rather large camping area at the bottom of Gore Canyon used as the end point for Gore rapids kayackers or the starting point for river rafters wanting a less dramatic float down the river.
    There are many islands in the river and camping spots on the islands and banks used by river rafters for the next several miles.

At mile post 142 the CZ again crosses the Colorado and does so repeatedly until just before MP 152 when the river is again on the right side of the train.

Just after going under I-70 the Eagle River joins the Colorado and the CZ is approaching spectacular Glenwood Canyon.
    The Roaring Fork River joins the Colorado on the left side as the train is leaving the Glenwood Springs station.

At MP 367 the CZ crosses the Colorado putting the river on the left side of the train.

There is Roller Dam (left side) on the river between MP 429 and 430.

About 20 miles after the Grand Junction stop the train will make a left passing Mack, CO, go under I-70, and after popping out of a tunnel some 1.5 miles further will be in Ruby Canyon, with the river on the left, another popular rafting section of the Colorado. The CO/UT border is crossed while in Ruby Canyon.

16 miles further CZ and the Colorado River part company.

2. dlubin

dlubin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So , do you think a gopro hero 6 would work or should I go with a more conventional DSLR like Panosonic Lumix DMC-G7?

3. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    Either will work.
    The GoPro gives you more options for setting up the camera, like attaching it to a suction cup that you stick to a window, or to a handlebar clamp that you hang on the grab handle next to the boarding vestibule door on the lower level of the car.

Part of the reason I use the small JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom is for its small size, the low angle shots I can get just putting it on the ground or floor, and for the ability to wrap the Joby to/around a wide variety of things.

4. dlubin

dlubin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what do you use?
    which Camera?

5. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    On my last Amtrak train trip I shot all my video with my Nikon D300s. I shot stills with my Nikon D200.

Upon getting home I got an Eonfine 4K 16 MP action sports camera for my next Amtrak train trip - March '18 on the California Zephyr - to the San Francisco area.
    Since I got it I've been shooting both video and time-lapse with the Eonfine so I'll be well familiar with it when I'm next on the train.
    I will also have my D300s and my D200 on my next trip.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. dlubin

dlubin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice, so you are recording at 1080p, I want to go at 4k so I guess gopro here 6, shoot in scripted points. By the way way, when you get to San Francisco, try John's steak house, union square, you won't regret it...trust me

7. dlubin

dlubin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Filet Mignon, and Gorgonzola salad with shrimp, wine etc

8. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    I get great beef right here in Iowa, in Altoona, IA, about 45 minutes away from home. The restaurant is called The Big Steer.
    Amtrak's Flatiron Steak is my usual on-the-train dinner entreé choice.

Two things I can't get here in Iowa are great seafood and great Italian food. So in San Francisco my first dining stop will be Cioppino's on the Embarcadero for, you guessed it
    - Cioppino - A bountiful seafood extravaganza of Dungeness crab, clams, mussels, snapper, calamari, shrimp and tomatoes braised in a fennel scented stew with garlic sourdough toast.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  9. dlubin

dlubin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

That sounds great I will definitely look into it. I an assuming you know this route so I have a few questions if you will indulge me. Assuming that I am using a gopro hero 6 and I have reviewed schedule, following questions in your opinion:
    1) Best sections to record continuously
    2) best sections/time to go time-lapse
    3) best sections to shut off and down load to my lap-top/portable hard rive

Thanks, if we were there at the same time, we would buy you dinner