I need advice...

again, i'll have to find a camera store that has both options...
The 30D went out of production some time ago so you'll only find the XSi in stores...unless the store sells used equipment. You could try holding the 40D or 50D as I think they're roughly the same size and weight as the 30D.

Sounds like XSI + 18-55 kit + 50mm 1.8 is the way to go for you.
Typical landscapes are done with a wider angle, which the 18mm on the kit should allow you to do.

The 50mm 1.8 will be good for indoor shots, parties and general picture sharpness / portraits.

As said, once you get used to those, then you can see what your next lens venture will be.
Missing some telephoto range? 70-200, 24-105, 28-135, 18-200 might be your next stops.
Loving the wide angles? Might want to go ultra wide with a 10-22
Taking a liking to portraits? Maybe a 24-70 or a kit upgrade to a 17-55 might be in order...or even a 50mm 1.4

Then don't forget the accessories! You will want to invest in a good tripod, a camera bag and a hotshoe flash. The tripod being important for landscapes, the hotshoe flash more for portraits.

The most important thing is knowledge. Take a course, read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Join a camera club...

XSi with warranty vs. 30D without warranty. I'd go for the warranty unless you know you're getting a quality 30D from someone you know.

i have used an XSi for about six months now. it is very user friendly and has great image quality. i got the body only from walmart.com for 600. i had a lens because i used a film rebel t2 before.
the only thing different i wish i would of done was invested in a better lens. the one i use most (75-300 for shootin birds) is too slow and i very often have to use a high ISO. the camera can handle 800 well, but 1600 starts gettin a little ify.

The rebel line of cameras have controls that flat out suck. After moving to a 30D and then onto other Canon cameras, I can say I'm more than happy not to have to use a rebel ever again.

Besides deficiencies in shooting speed, construction, etc... you have to go into the camea menu to change ISO. To change the aperture (which I guess isn't important if you're going to green box it) you have to hold down an additional button and scroll the shutter speed wheel where as on every other Canon line, you have dedicated controls for that.

It's just much easier to use. Image quality will be almost the same between the two and you're really not gaining anything besides megapixels with going with an XSI.

And all this talk of it's not as good of a camera because is older is retarded. Without looking at the EXIF, can you tell which is shot with the 2 year old $1100 (at the time) 30D and which is shot with the 3 month old $2700 camera?

1: Flickr Photo Download: Something Witty

2: Flickr Photo Download: Briana

Besides deficiencies in shooting speed, construction, etc... you have to go into the camea menu to change ISO. To change the aperture (which I guess isn't important if you're going to green box it) you have to hold down an additional button and scroll the shutter speed wheel where as on every other Canon line, you have dedicated controls for that.

Sorry, that is mis-information about the ISO with an XSI. Might be an issue with the XS or the XTI, but not with the XSI.

Right behind this wheel is a button that can be pressed down at any time called.... ISO. This brings up a menu (either on the LCD or in the Viewfinder) to allow you to change the ISO as needed, on the fly, without going through menu functions. I can hit the button and then use the shutter wheel to change the ISO to what I need it to be, without taking my eye off the view finder

Same for white balance. 1 button on the camera that opens the white balance selection screen. The main difference is that I am stuck with presets on my XSI, so I can't chose a custom white balance on the fly

On my XSI, when in Aperture Priority mode, the wheel located right behind the shutter button sets the aperture. When in Shutter Priority, it sets the shutter. No need to go in the menu to change either. When in Manual, the wheel works the Shutter and holding down 1 button + using the wheel works the aperture. Its really not big deal, the buttons are easily accessible. Maybe because I haven't used a higher end camera, but I don't find moving 2 fingers instead of 1 impeeds my photography progress. I actually wonder when I'd be using 2 fingers to set 2 functions at the same time?!?

Canon's pro cameras, the 1D's, requires two finger manipulation, (two control buttons/dial), for nearly every function with the exception being shutter speed, aperture. focus and shutter release.

Gary

Last edited:
Sorry, that is mis-information about the ISO with an XSI. Might be an issue with the XS or the XTI, but not with the XSI.

Right behind this wheel is a button that can be pressed down at any time called.... ISO. This brings up a menu (either on the LCD or in the Viewfinder) to allow you to change the ISO as needed, on the fly, without going through menu functions. I can hit the button and then use the shutter wheel to change the ISO to what I need it to be, without taking my eye off the view finder

Same for white balance. 1 button on the camera that opens the white balance selection screen. The main difference is that I am stuck with presets on my XSI, so I can't chose a custom white balance on the fly

On my XSI, when in Aperture Priority mode, the wheel located right behind the shutter button sets the aperture. When in Shutter Priority, it sets the shutter. No need to go in the menu to change either. When in Manual, the wheel works the Shutter and holding down 1 button + using the wheel works the aperture. Its really not big deal, the buttons are easily accessible. Maybe because I haven't used a higher end camera, but I don't find moving 2 fingers instead of 1 impeeds my photography progress. I actually wonder when I'd be using 2 fingers to set 2 functions at the same time?!?

It's the same except for the viewfinder. But it's still an in camera menu where as on the other Canon's you can view it and everything else on the top LCD.

I never shot anything besides manual with any of the Rebels I've used. Having to hold down the a/v button and change it with the shutter speed wheel is not as fast as being able to adjust shutter speed with one finger and aperture with your thumb.

Trust me, if you ever upgrade you'll only go back if you don't want a larger body.

When you first wrote "in camera menu", I associated that with having to go into the menu, find the ISO (or whatever) setting and then change it from there. Something you normally have on a point and shoot.

I view all my info on the big LCD and not the top LCD. I require 1 button to access the function and then the wheel or arrow keys to select what I want.

So yes, you are right. The information you see is in the menu on the LCD and Viewfinder. But to access the function, its a 1 button touch.

I'm sure that if I upgraded, I would never want to go back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back