I need advice...

combat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd like to get back into photography...I miss it sooo much. The problem is that I can't really afford digital.

I'm looking for suggestions of GREAT camera and quality lenses (the must have lenses for each particular camera)

If you can give me some advice please post here. I will check it some time tomorrow and hopefully have some solid ground to start researching prices on ebay.

what brand do you prefer? what type of photography do you want to do - portraits, landscapes, macro, etc etc? what is your budget?
Help us out here... :)

It's funny how you say you cannot afford digital, because film based anything is going to cost you a lot more in the long run.

Even for a 35mm SLR, the body is cheap, the lens may be depending on what you want. Then here's where it gets expensive. The negatives can go several dollars a roll, each with max of 36 exps. Then you send them to the store for developing, costing a few dollars per roll. Then you ask them to make a CD or print. When I didn't have my own scanner, each time I send a 6 roll bundle for developing and CD, it would cost me about $60~$70. Now I have my own scanner($300), I am still paying for the negatives.

Digital IS the most affordable form of photography no matter how you slice it. So if cost is your main concern, then save up and get digital equipment instead.

While it may not be cheaper in the long run it is cheaper ATM. Even a cheap DSLR will cost me $600+ with only a few lenses. I've seen Pentax K1000 on ebay for for less than $200. Photography is just a passionate hobby of mine so I really don't think I'd spend a whole load on buying and processing film.

My desired digital equipment would consist of a Canon 1D and 17-40L....the lens alone is around $600 used, the body can be anywhere from $400-700 I think is what it was at last. That's an easy $1000 right from the jump...this doesn't include memory cards, battery backups, case, flash...list goes on and on.

So if you guys could help me out with my original question and suggest me a camera that is very reliable I would appreciate it.

The usual suspects still apply.

You can shop e-bay or keh.com. Most of the large online retail shops will have used equipment as well.

What's wrong with a Canon in an FD mount? You could even get a T90 and not break the bank.

The usual suspects still apply.

You can shop e-bay or keh.com. Most of the large online retail shops will have used equipment as well.

What's wrong with a Canon in an FD mount? You could even get a T90 and not break the bank.

Nothing is wrong with a Canon, I'm just looking for all the options...I've not really used any 35mm SLR's before except some old camera that was not really a big name

I've seen Pentax K1000 on ebay for for less than $200.
I've seen them in pawn shops for under $50. The K1000 gets my recommendation.

I got a email from Adorama today that had the Canon XS with 18-55mm lens for $449.95 plus free shipping... Just a thought

I got a email from Adorama today that had the Canon XS with 18-55mm lens for $449.95 plus free shipping... Just a thought

Not bad I guess I just don't have that chunk of change to spend all at once. I never really liked the 18-55 anyways...I'd rather just get the body and buy the 50 1.8

Oh, I just thought you were into canons. If getting into 35mm film, I'd get a Nikon F100 and a 35mm f/2.8 lens, then save for an 85mm or a 105mm. If you already know your stuff then the savings with digi becomes much less. Have you given any thought to a 645 or even a 6X7 format?

Oh, I just thought you were into canons. If getting into 35mm film, I'd get a Nikon F100 and a 35mm f/2.8 lens, then save for an 85mm or a 105mm. If you already know your stuff then the savings with digi becomes much less. Have you given any thought to a 645 or even a 6X7 format?

Not really, there is no local place that will develop that type of film.

I would recommend a Canon camera for someone just starting out the 20D or 30D would be a good option. They have great qualities, but not as expensive as a SD or the Mark series. Those usually come with a general lens, but one in the 24mm-70mm range is a great lens to start with and build off from there. I love Canon lenses too.

Kathy
http://www.foreverphotographyonline.com

K1000. Have it, love it, shoots great pictures for the money. And its funny that they cost as much as they do now, because back in the day when my mom bought the one i'm using for her high school photojournalism class, it cost her like $50 at Target with a lens, a few rolls of film, filters, and a handbook.

Most reactions

Back