I Need camera, lenses, & lighting

smackey521

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm developing an e-commerce site and need to take pictures of t-shirts (torso shot on model) for my website. What type of camera, size lenses, and lighting should I get? I tried using a camera indoors a few months ago but couldn't get the lighting right. What's the best place to find help?

I'm developing an e-commerce site and need to take pictures of t-shirts (torso shot on model) for my website. What type of camera, size lenses, and lighting should I get? I tried using a camera indoors a few months ago but couldn't get the lighting right. What's the best place to find help?
How good do you want the images to look? What's the budget?

Keith - I was trying to stay under $2000 for the camera, lenses, and lighting
How about a Nikon D90 with a 16-85mm DX VR lens and a SB600 flash? That should cost you under 2000.

I looked at the site but i want to use real people that work for me. I tired the mannequin routine last year and didn't like it. Some was camera and lighting problems last year but mostly a skill issue.

I borrowed a D60 last year with a flash (can't remember type) for the photos. I tried indoor shots but they were all washed out. Then I took pictures outside in the shade in front of a flat green screen and used Photoshop to place the shots in different settings. I think I need different lighting to shoot indoors.

I looked at the site but i want to use real people that work for me. I tired the mannequin routine last year and didn't like it. Some was camera and lighting problems last year but mostly a skill issue.
Then you know about the legalities of model releases for your state?

The camera body is the least important of the equipment (#3), the lens is the most important (#1) with the lighting and modifiers second (#2).

Now, tell me the dimensions of the space you have to shoot width/length/ceiling height, so we can think about #1 and #2, the lens.

The ceiling height is ok, but 6'x8' is tiny and will make it virtually impossible to make quality, commercial images of your products. You can make images in the space but......

The model really should be 6-8 feet from the background so they don't cast shadows on it, and the camera should be at least 8 feet from the model so you , so you really want a space at least 16 feet long and 10' or 12' wide.

What's going to happen in such a small shooting area is all your images will have shadows from the model on the background and your going to have trouble with light bouncing around such a small room in ways you don't want.

All you need for a camera is something like a Nikon D40/D60. Used Nikon | D60 SLR Digital Camera | 25436 | B&H Photo Video

In that small a shooting space you'll need a wide angle lens, like a 12-24mm f/4 zoom (about $700-$750 used). Used Nikon | 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor AF | 2144

For a clean, plain background you can use a medium gray seamless paper. Savage makes a 53" x 12 yard roll in a color they call 'Gray Sky'. Savage | 53" x 12yds Background Paper #14 | 14-1253 | B&H
But you really want to use the 107" x 12 yard paper, but it won't fit on an 96" wall.

You can rig a way to hang the roll from the ceiling up against one of the 8 foot walls. The seamless paper comes in a variety of colors.

For lighting you can use inexpensive speedlights Vivitar | 285HV Auto Flash | 233965 | B&H Photo Video

with eBay radio triggers ISHOOT PT-04 C Wireless Flash Trigger PT04—2 Receivers - eBay (item 270395680462 end time Jan-17-10 20:17:10 PST)

and a couple of light stands and umbrella's. Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | | B&H Photo Video

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Then you know about the legalities of model releases for your state?

The camera body is the least important of the equipment (#3), the lens is the most important (#1) with the lighting and modifiers second (#2).

Now, tell me the dimensions of the space you have to shoot width/length/ceiling height, so we can think about #1 and #2, the lens.

Actually, you could hand me an original Rebel 300D with an 18-55 kit and good lighting and I could take much better photos than someone with a 5D MKII, 24-70 f/2.8L and mediocre lighting. Lighting is the most important.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back