I need constructive criticism.

GC Jr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there, I was thinking about opening up a website on the net and selling my shots. This is a small batch of my pics, and I just wanted to get some constructive criticism on what I can do to make them better. :-D

2289492546_ff2a85e964.jpg

2302054533_5440afca21.jpg

2302851384_c2cb8f61c6.jpg

2302053087_39d823a87f.jpg

2302052397_055f8a335d.jpg

2302849308_91b464ac98.jpg

1) Not very interesting.
2) Not very interesting and looks underexposed.
3) Probably the best of the bunch, but I couldn't see someone actually purchasing it.
4) Nothing is in focus.
5) All dark and then a single screen that is blown out.
6) Not very interesting and underexposed again.

Honestly, I don't see anyone purchasing these photos as the subjects are not overly interesting and most have some technical qualities lacking as I have mentioned.

It is not easy to sell photos, just so you know, everyone and their mother wants to do it.

No offense, but these photos are not sell worthy, sorry. They lack way too much interest, composition, good subjects, etc.

Try something like this for an iPod shot.

02.jpg

I don't see anything to criticize. I think these are wonderful shots. The closeness and down low perspective of the first one really gives it dimension. I love how you can read The Glory on the second one. You did a great job capturing the eyes in the third. I especially love the shot through the windshield, the blue blurr effect really sets off the scene! Pretty good job of just isolating the computer screen in the fifth and the back lighting in the last one is perfect!
I'd say you're well on your way to being quite a successful photographer! :thumbup:

I don't see anything to criticize. I think these are wonderful shots. The closeness and down low perspective of the first one really gives it dimension. I love how you can read The Glory on the second one. You did a great job capturing the eyes in the third. I especially love the shot through the windshield, the blue blurr effect really sets off the scene! Pretty good job of just isolating the computer screen in the fifth and the back lighting in the last one is perfect!
I'd say you're well on your way to being quite a successful photographer! :thumbup:

Is this a joke? :confused:

You wont make any money of these photos. Most photos that make money are simple ones that can be used on websites as cutouts or compliments to graphic pieces. Sure a company might use some intense image but usually those are found by an agent and all the rights are bought to the image so you cant sell it again. Go to some stock photography sites (www.sxc.hu or corbis.com) and see what sells and how simplicity in a lot of stock photography is what agents are looking for. Besides stock photography you can make money doing landscapes and those type of images that can go into calenders. Or you can just do weddings or portraits but what you have right there isn't professional enough or something I see in high demand right now.

Whoa, I REALLY, REALLY *super duper* appreciate ALL the criticism given to me here, I'll definitely take all of this to mind, and I'll make my shots much, much more interesting now that I think of it. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :-D

Whoa, I REALLY, REALLY *super duper* appreciate ALL the criticism given to me here, I'll definitely take all of this to mind, and I'll make my shots much, much more interesting now that I think of it. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :-D

Go forth and shoot! ;)

Constructive criticism. All are too dark. You need to open your lens aperture as wide as it will go to get almost enough light. Of course, in so doing you are probably going to get way too narrow a DOF. An assumption is that your lens (s) are max app f 3.5 or f 4?

Just to take your first shot. Way too dark. The iPod is lost and the background is way to cluttered thus distracting from the subject. I agree with the photo sample that was posted which the photog. took an iPod and segregated it from all else. IE, you need to define your subject.

You need some light. One 250 W hot light (w/ stand) will help you immensely and will be a minimum investment. You would then need to adjust your WB (white balance) for incandescent if that setting is available on your camera.

The photo of the traffic and stop sign is slightly out of focus and lacks luminance. This could be corrected in PS but there, again, is no defined subject and I recommend never shooting through glass unless you have a specifically designed plan for effect. Even then you might consider a circular polarizer (filter).

The one I rather like is the photo of just the eyes in the rear view mirror. Too dark again but interesting. Beautiful eyes, if I may say so. The beauty adds to the interest and I have shot many portraits of eyes only.

Hope this helps a bit. Practice as was recommended above in another post and use your settings. Take notes as to what and what doesn't work. The act of writing notes cements the lesson to memory much better than just shooting and spinning wheels and pushing buttons in frustration.

Thank you Crotograph!! Thank you guys! I'm doing a small iPod photoshoot now, to try and define it and bring it out from everything else.

As for the other pictures, there's nothing I can really do about them except learn from them. I'll try to capture interesting things, oh yeah- is this shot any good also? I forgot to put this in with the batch.

2303205252_c0f86c5478.jpg

Is it ok? In my opinion, I didn't really define it well enough, as crotograph was mentioning with my iPod pic.

I'm not really sure what your main subject is in this photo. Is it the berries/branches in front? Is it the brown sign? What were you trying to capture with this photo?

Berries are sharper than the sign... You wouldn't sell any of the above images.

Read about lighting and composition. Rule of thirds may help a lot.

Light is everythig in photography.

Getting the right exposure is VERY important. If you use photoshop look at the histogram. All your images are under exposed.

Do you think they look good enough? Be critical of your own work first and lear what is and is not a good image.

Keep copies of ones you like so that you can recal them and learn how to replicate them. As you learn you will start to develop your own style.

This thread probably should've been in the general gallery.

If people indeed actually pay you to take photos please give me your zip code :D.

Doesn't seem like an equipment issue, just keep practicing. BTW what equipment are you using?

Well, the only stuff I use in photography is (of course) my olympus E-300, a 14-45 mm lens, a 40-150 mm lens, sometimes a UV filter but I don't see any point in those.

And, I just noticed that in my Cafe La Ruche pic, the SIGN isn't focused.. DAMN!

Most reactions

Back