I need help deciding new lenses

HyppoBard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,
I would like to purchase a some new lenses for my full frame Canon 6D. However, I am still confused on which gear would better suit my purposes.

For example, imagine I need to photograph people during an event (art exhibition, concert, club) and I want to get some nice mid close-up without getting too close, which lenses could guarantee me this result? (6 meter distance maybe)
Should I check some Zoom lenses as well? I don't know how much is the quality difference compared to prime lenses.

Also, I enjoy doing landscape photography with my 50mm lenses. Is there something better for this field within the wide lenses category?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Canon 24-70 f2.8 and Canon 70-200 f2.8m. With these 2 zooms you have the best quality available with the flexibility to want. It's a no brainer! Unless of course there is a specific budget you are trying to meet. ;)

I agree with spiralout462, these are the first 2 lenses that you need to get, and after a year or so with those
two you will probably never have to ask which lens you need to buy next, you'll just know what you need.

Those two on a FF camera like the 6D will do over 90% of shots that most of us will ever do.

Thanks for the reply. Is there something (prime or zoom) that dosen't exceed the 800 euros? (One example for portrait and another for landscape if someone might know)

Canon 24-70mm 2.8
Another option which is just as good and has image stabilize and cost about half the Canon version is Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC

Thanks for the reply. Is there something (prime or zoom) that dosen't exceed the 800 euros? (One example for portrait and another for landscape if someone might know)
You can always go for the Canon 85mm 1.8, its a classic portrait lens

Sure.

For the price of the Canon's 70-200 IS 2.8 II you can get both the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC that has the image stabilization
(which the more expensive Canon doesn't) and the Tamron 70-200 VC or, even cheaper, the Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS (which I own and love).

There's a lot of reviews on all of these on youtube.
I'd just stay away from Sigma's 24-70, all of the other lenses mentioned are great.
The Canon stuff IS better then the rest, but not as much as the price difference might suggest.

My Flickr gallery (linked below) has a few of these 70-200
Sigma shots, it's a great lens and my camera body is a LOT
lower end then yours.

Attitude
by Dalibor Bauernfrajnd, on Flickr

Thank you all for your answers!

Thank you all for your answers!

You can spend lots on equipment very easily, with little to show on occasion.

What lenses apart from the 50 do you currently have? Do you own any speedlights?

I only have a 50mm lense, and no speedlights

I'd seriously look at the 24-105mm f4 l. I'd try get one second hand as they often go cheap as they come as a kit lens cheap, many end up with 2, and sell on. You might get one for 500-600 ish. I'd then also buy a yongnuo th 568 ex. You then have a good range, good lens and extra light for portraits.

Amazon has the 24 105 for $600 white box. They are going g for $700 on CL around my parts.

Most reactions

Back