I need help REALLY BAD!!!!

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend is getting married this weekend, and I asked if it would ok to take some pictures (shadow the photographer). I didn't ask to get paid because, one I'm not a weddding photographer, and two portraits are not my thing. I just found out that photographer is not going to be able to make it making me the one that he asked to take pictures for him. I don't mind, but I don't know anything about wedding photography!!!!! Because I'm leaving tonight to get down to Midland, TX, I was wondering if you all (ya'll if your from TX) give like say 5 things to focus on that would probably be the most important to you. Sorry for the last minute thing but I just found out about this.

If you scroll down in the forum, there's an area for Portrait and Wedding Photography. At the top of that is a "sticky" with "hot tips for wedding photography." That's probably your best bet - I've never shot a wedding (and don't want to, frankly), but looking through that it seems like there are good tips.

You are absolutely right... I don't ever go there because I'm not into it but I'll take a look at that thanks.

Mix formal, candid, and table group shots. Be aware that lighting can be very low in some churches and reception halls so be prepared with powerful flash equipment and lots of batteries. A white dress can be a challenge to expose perfectly...neither washing out the detail, nor making it an off-white grey shade. An auxiliary spot meter is helpful. A good zoom from wide angle to telephoto is good for speed shooting and not missing a shot irrespective of your location.

Good luck!

skieur

It will be like nothing you have ever experienced before. Other than what's listed in the tips on the wedding photography section, all I can say is be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Its good to capture the usual standard and formal shots, but be sure to catch lots of expressions and candids from the wedding party and guests. Also, show confidence and be ready to give them some direction when needed.

Good luck and have fun.

NJ

Buy a book on the way and get somebody else to drive while you study. Make a list of the shots that you think you have to have and check them off as you go and Tell the best man that you need his help! The best man is usually the person to go to when you need help getting everyone (guests) to get in line. Also talk to the maid of honor. She is the one who can A. Quieten down the bride (usually) and B. can act as a go between for the caterers and other paid personnel to help you for the cake and table shots, alert you before the first dance (a must have), get the lights turned up beyond 'school dance' mode in the reception hall and so forth.

Good luck and remember to make a cheat sheet (checklist) and get your team together!

mike

Good luck! Make sure that whoever drafted you in to do this knows that they probably won't be getting the same quality as an experienced wedding photographer would get. If you then find out you're a natural at this then great!

The one tip I have for taking portraits is (and at this point I admit I'm far from an expert) focus on the eyes! Break this rule if you need to to perhaps make the wedding ring the focus point for instance but in general go for the eyes... That's what I would do anyway.

I agree definately let them know what to expect and maby you will surprise them and yourself. Just try to remember (and it is hard sometimes) to try and focus on the couple. It is easy in the hustle and bustle of a busy wedding to forget to get som nice shots of the B+G without mom or dad or aunt millie or even the wedding party.

Thanks for all the advice. The wedding turned out, OK. The bride picked this ugly part of the park. It was an edge of the park, so no matter what angle I took it from except one there was always houses, cars, little kids playing, and the works. The mom of the groom loved them. I have not been able to talk to anybody else yet to see if they like them but all my co workers liked them as well. Thank you all.

Most reactions

Back