I need HELP - the horrors of studio work

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I posted it but it didnt pop up so forgive me if it does and this is a repeat.

I had the chance today to take headshots for an actor friend of mine. A mutual friend offered her studio equiptment. She had a light with stand and a soft box and backgrounds. I also brought my reflector. We had a very small space, 5'x8' about I would guess. It was a ton of fun but I got less then idea results.

This is a sample, not one he is likely to pick. I just wanted to work on the editing and give him a sample what they will look like. I REALLY REALLY REALLY need some advice for making these better. They just arent turning out well at all. I know nothing about studio lighting and nothing about black and white photography. Its not a winning combo.

So HEEEELLLLPPPPP please??????? :blushing:

practice1.jpg

Back light. Some way of separating him from the background.

At least, that's what i would do. :)

we didnt really have that option, I would have loved to but we didnt have a second light. i need help with pp to make them better because he needs these asap...I was free btw, so he is getting his money's worth

Emerana--

I know NOTHING about studio work, so I can't really help you there. But I think I can help with the PP part. How did you do your BW conversions? This shot looks flat and needs a contrast boost.

My BW converson process--

1. Get my image looking good in COLOR (no color casts, good exposure, etc)
2. Use a BW gradient map layer
3. Usually another Curves or Levels layer to boost the contrast. For some reason, my BW's always seem to need a little extra oomph.
4. (optional) If I want a warm-toned BW I will use a Hue/saturation layer with hue27/sat 7/lightness 0 and the colorize box checked.

Good luck with your PP-ing work!

Thanks! Will try that...not sure what a bw gradient map layer is though...will look into it

this is a second try...first time with layers
eek
//////
below

Use a reflector or bounce card on the opposite side of the softbox to get some rear light. This way it'll appear you have two lights, but only using one. It'll have to be close though.

Also, your soft box is too bright. It's burning the image.

One last thing. Use somebody other then the actor to set up the studio equip and be ready for when your shots need to count.

Whatever aperture your shooting at, stop down one. Feather the light. I'm guessing you have the softbox point right at him. Move if to the right a little bit (facing the actor right) and rotate it right maybe 45 degrees. That may be a bit too much. You want the center and left part of the soft box pointing at your subject with the rest pointing past him. Plop the reflector up on the right to fill in some of those shadows. Post up the results.

Thanks. It isnt my stuff, we cant redo it. We couldnt even move the light due to the size of the area. But it was fun. I am doing alot of editing and coming up with some better results. At least that will do for him for the time being.

First - emotions.

with good emotions quality is secondary.

give him something to do with hand. Untie hard knot, play with dog, open bottle of wine, etc.

Be ready. Ask something. And when his attention switched to you take a picture.

Make light side of face far from you. Use for man faces mostly hard light. Use more contour light instead of fill light. Play more with composition. It isn't picture for driving licence

Thanks, these arent keepers...I was just working out pp with them. But also he is a theater actor and headshots are supose to be serious/blankid

In your re-edited versions there's no detail in your blacks. Also, I'm really not a fan of backgrounds like that, but that's not something you can change anymore I guess.

Also looks like you should have raised your light a bit cause the nose shadow is weird.

yeah there are lots of things we shoulda coulda woulda changed. Any more pp advice?

Most reactions

Back