I need HELP with action PHOTOS......

oldnavy170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this picture of my daughter while she was running. I was going for a running shot but I wanted to see her clear but the only thing clear is her face. How do I go about getting a clearer shot for an action photo.

I was in auto mode with this photo because I wasn't sure what mode to use for an action shot. I am using a Canon S2 IS. Thanks for any suggestions.

Picture2128.jpg

Attachments

• $Lindsey Running.jpg
    $Lindsey Running.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 92
Well, it looks like you perfectly caught the motin of her knee :) You obviously did do some panning here and that is probably one of the 'best' methods. I have noticed that I get somewhat better results when I do several practice 'runs' while following them both before and after the actually shot - kind of like a golf swing.

One other way I can think of that you can do this, is to set your flash to sync at the end of the shutter (ugh. I said that incorrectly) - though I don't know of the S2 allows you to do that.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful :S

set camera to shutter priority, shutter speed 1/250, let the camera select aperture and fire away, she'll be sharp at that unless she's a very fast little girl.

Thank you. I will remember to try Shutter Priority next time I take an action shot. I really want to catch her with her feet off the ground but in a clear sharp photo.

It's all about shutter speed. As mentioned, 1/250 should do it. The problem will be that if you set your shutter speed to 1/250...you aperture may not be able to open up wide enough to make the exposure. Turning up the ISO will help...but at the cost of increased noise.

Besides using shutter priority mode...you could use aperture priority and just set the widest aperture (lowest number)...then the camera will give you the fastest shutter speed it can (for the light).

Outside during an average day...you shouldn't have a problem.

Most reactions

Back