I Need Help With My Filter and Lens Protector

Jordan111

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My brother bought me a UV Filter and a Lens Protector for my Sony Cybershot DSC H20/B for Christmas.

I can't seem to figure out how to get them on. I checked the Sony website, it says they're compatible.
He told me the guy at the store somehow twisted the lens off, and put the filter on, and put it all back together.

Now, it is entirely possible my brother wasn't paying full attention. He isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. So, maybe they had a lens adapter on it.

Does anyone have any idea?

What's the UV filter for? If your camera is digital there is already a UV filter, among others, in front of the image sensor.

When you say "Lens protector"...Like a lens cap?

Some photographers put a UV or clear filter on the front of their lens for 'protection'.

Unfortunately, a UV or clear filter on a lens can at best not effect image quality, but many in fact diminish image quality by reducing sharpness of focus, image contrast, and promoting lans flare, an undesireable internal to the lens reflection.

Additionally, UV and clear filters are thin and easily broken. They are usually broken in such a way that the shards are forced back at the lens objective they were intended to 'protect', causing damage to the lens objective in the process. Further, when a 'protective' filter is shattered in such a fashion the support around the edge of the filter gets bent in such a way that when the shattered filter is unscrewed from the lens, it leaves a nice quarter turn scratch on the lens objective it ways intended to 'protect'.

If you use a lens cap when the lens is not in use, use a hood when it is, and handle your camera responsibly, everything should be just fine without any 'protective' additions.

By the way, using a lens hood improves image contrast, diminishes lens flare, and provides an impact buffer zone around the lens objective.

A UV filter can be beneficial at altitudes over 3000 ft and when a light source causes some materials to flouresce.

What's the UV filter for? If your camera is digital there is already a UV filter, among others, in front of the image sensor.

When you say "Lens protector"...Like a lens cap?

Some photographers put a UV or clear filter on the front of their lens for 'protection'.

Unfortunately, a UV or clear filter on a lens can at best not effect image quality, but many in fact diminish image quality by reducing sharpness of focus, image contrast, and promoting lans flare, an undesireable internal to the lens reflection.

Additionally, UV and clear filters are thin and easily broken. They are usually broken in such a way that the shards are forced back at the lens objective they were intended to 'protect', causing damage to the lens objective in the process. Further, when a 'protective' filter is shattered in such a fashion the support around the edge of the filter gets bent in such a way that when the shattered filter is unscrewed from the lens, it leaves a nice quarter turn scratch on the lens objective it ways intended to 'protect'.

If you use a lens cap when the lens is not in use, use a hood when it is, and handle your camera responsibly, everything should be just fine without any 'protective' additions.

By the way, using a lens hood improves image contrast, diminishes lens flare, and provides an impact buffer zone around the lens objective.

A UV filter can be beneficial at altitudes over 3000 ft and when a light source causes some materials to flouresce.
This is just something he bought for me. He knows how I am when it comes to my camera, he was was trying to help me out I guess.

The "lens protector" is just a clear lens, the same size as the UV filter.

The camera has a lens cap, which works quite well on its own of course. I am always very careful with my camera, but the added "protection" is a nice thing regardless I suppose.

Thank you for the link Craig.

Most reactions

Back