i need help

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
yes, i have already read the "wedding threads",didnt help...but my sister wants me to photograph her wedding...im a little confused though...i only have a few lenses and they are not the best,just beginner lenses(look the the signature)...question is what would be the best lens to use...i was thinking the 50mm to get more blurry backgrounds, but then i cant zoom with the 50mm, so i started thinking the 18-55...should i just take all of them?..im trying to get the best pics possible with the tools i have...i plan on getting the 430ex flash in the next couple of weeks maybe that will help a little with the overall out come of the of the pics...

Personally I would use the 18-55mm lens for most everything. However, I know many people swear by the 50mm f/1.8 for sharpness.

Reason I use the 18-55 mm lens is it allows me quick action and to zoom where I can't step any closer. However, for posed shots it might be easiest to use the 50 mm to get the best sharpness. The telephoto you rarely use at a wedding. I use it maybe once or twice a wedding.

I would take them all, and maybe find a way of strapping them to a belt or something.

I will give you this,
It is your sister getting married, do you want to spend your whole day running around working (It will be work). Then worry if the pictures are not turning out.

If this is something that is important to your sister, tell her to hire a pro.

The damage that could be done to your relationship is not worth it.
Wedding photography is not something you can just pick up and do. You need the right equipment and the right backup equipment. It takes pros years to perfect the craft and to know what to look for. Remember, you only get one shot at this.

With the lenses you have listed, there are none that are considered fast glass except the 50 mm, what happens it the church does not allow flash, are you going to be able to compensate for that.

If you are going to do it, and you feel you can, I would suggest you contact your local camera store and see if you can rent a few fast lenses for the wedding, as well one other day to practice with them. Be warned, shooting with fast glass leads to an insatiable desire to buy fast glass.

Good Luck

I will give you this,
It is your sister getting married, do you want to spend your whole day running around working (It will be work). Then worry if the pictures are not turning out.

If this is something that is important to your sister, tell her to hire a pro.

The damage that could be done to your relationship is not worth it.
Wedding photography is not something you can just pick up and do. You need the right equipment and the right backup equipment. It takes pros years to perfect the craft and to know what to look for. Remember, you only get one shot at this.

With the lenses you have listed, there are none that are considered fast glass except the 50 mm, what happens it the church does not allow flash, are you going to be able to compensate for that.

If you are going to do it, and you feel you can, I would suggest you contact your local camera store and see if you can rent a few fast lenses for the wedding, as well one other day to practice with them. Be warned, shooting with fast glass leads to an insatiable desire to buy fast glass.

Good Luck
Well said.

Don't forget that a wedding photographer should have backup equipment. What happens if your camera/lens/flash stops working for some reason...right when she's coming down the isle? It probably won't go over well if you just say "sorry, my camera stopped working"

I agree with Speedtrap...if the photos are important to her, convince her to hire a pro. You can probaly still do a lot of shooting at the wedding and get stuff that the pro won't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back