I need help!

I honestly dont see what the big deal for a live view function is....
That defeats the purpose of the "SLR" part...

"The single-lens reflex (SLR) camera uses an automatic moving mirror system which permits the photographer to see exactly what will be captured by the film or digital imaging system, as opposed to non-SLR cameras where the view through the viewfinder could be significantly different from what was captured on film."

wikipedia

You are supossed to look through the viewfinder and the mirror!
I fully agree! And with Manaheim. I have the D300 as well and, have yet to even look in the manual on how to use it. THere is something about the whole shooting experience of looking through the viewfinder to get the image. I didnt even use the LCD with my Coolpix995 but, I did try it once and, found it to be more of a distraction.

the main thing that i see about the d60 that is better then the d40 is it has a focus motor built in (if i'm not mistaking) the d40 doesent have a focus motor, which means if you want to use auto focus (which you shouldnt if your in a photography class) you need to make sure your lens have built in focus motors, where as with the d60, it has the motor in the body...

with the D40 you are going to out grow it fast. Not saying it is the worst ( I have one) but when you actually start getting really into photography your gonna stop and probably have the thought "who was the twit who said lets not build the focusing motor into the body to make it smaller while hiking up the price for the lenses for it" I did. It is basically a advance point-and-shoot. Buy like one of those fuji's or kodak's that are SLR-like for right now you will be happy in the long run

If you have to buy a DSLR I wouldn't knock you for getting a D40 I am just telling you the problems (every camera will have its own special problems) - I do like my D40 just not the price for auto-focus lenses :er:

If price is an object you can almost always get more for your money by going with a brand other than Canon or Nikon. There's nothing wrong with a D40 or D60, but don't forget to consider brands like Pentax (you could probably pick up a K100D for next to nothing), Sony (A100 or A200), and Olympus. In the end, every camera has strengths and weaknesses and only you can decide which one fits you best, but make sure you consider all of your options.

Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

I would be considered a noob. I have a Sony F717 which takes great pictures but I wanted to upgrade to a faster shutter etc. I bought a Nikon D40 kit w/ a 55-200 zoom added on. Took to San Antonio w/ me and was amazed at some of the pictures I took. I looked a long time before I bought. A good website to visit is dpreview.com.

After using it for a while I found that as a relative newcomer to digital photography the D40 was probably more camera for the money than anything else available. It has also allowed me to understand what it can and cannot do.

Meh...skip the d40 and d60. Used D50? You can find used 20D's for about $400. 8mp, metal chasis, and a great camera overall.

And Olympus is a good brand, but for a wider variety of cheaper used glass, the big two may be the way to go. They do have a kit with two lenses that's fairly cheap, but some of their quality glass is $500 & $600 more that stuff from Canon and Nikon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back