I need help

In my photography 1 course, today we were assigned to do outdoor self portraits. Any advice for doing this without a tripod?

Was the assignment about NOT using a tripod? Because they are sometimes pretty cheaply purchased from Craigslist in used condition.

Anything which would provide a stable surface would work, but you'd probably have to find things to change the lens elevation. A book might work, with your stuffing things in between pages and orienting it for the right angle. Probably take a bit longer to set up your shot without the tripod.

find a rock,stump, wall, something you can set it on, set your focus and use auto timer. Or buy a tripod, A tripod is nice to have, i doubt you will wish you had not bought it.

Maybe a bean bag big enough to have your camera sit on top of it.

Search "Bean bag camera" in google.

I have already had someone laugh at me for this but when I was in high school, my teacher suggested carrying around a 5 pound bag of rice in my camera bag. You can rest it on top of uneven surfaces and actually make them quite stable for you to rest your camera on top of. It also allows you to somewhat adjust the angle of your shot. It worked for me when back when I couldn't afford a tripod.

The assignment is due tuesday, I'm within 8 dollars of being flat broke, and in this podunk town the only thing selling on craigslist is ass and automobiles.

hold the camera at angles in front of yourself, use a low wall, the ground, top of payphone, upturned box/crate, roof of a car, windowsill... your reflection in a mirror, window, puddle, lake...suspend (hang) the camera from something - use the strap or rig something up. it can be candid if you wish, no?

lol @ podunk town's craigslist offerings. nice!

I think a park bench would work, even if it meant kneeling down you photograph yourself. do you have any friends in the class? maybe one of them has a tripod and you guys could shoot together. be creative!

I have already had someone laugh at me for this but when I was in high school, my teacher suggested carrying around a 5 pound bag of rice in my camera bag. You can rest it on top of uneven surfaces and actually make them quite stable for you to rest your camera on top of. It also allows you to somewhat adjust the angle of your shot. It worked for me when back when I couldn't afford a tripod.

I will definitely be doing that! Its a really good idea and saves some money. I'll probably pour it into a bag of black fabric... oh and after a hard day of picture taking throw it in the microwave for 5mins and put it on your neck for soothing warmth.. my grandpa has been doing that for 30 years, recently they've been on the market for like $20.00...:lmao:

Do you have to do it? I mean couldnt you have the settings the way you want and have a family member or another student take the pic? When I was taking my photography class we had the same assignment but other students were allowed to help. I would let you borrow my tripod but I live in down and out boring Tn.LOL

He wishes for us to stay away from arms length "myspace" photos. I have already taken 83 pictures for this assignment but was just looking for more advice. Ha ha The only help we are "allowed" is for someone to assist with focusing but other than that he wants us doing everything ourselves. The shots so far have come up as brooding, internal pictures.

Most reactions

Back