I need help!

Nikola Vuksanovich

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i have Nikon d3300 with Kingston MicroSD 32FG UHS-I, and i can only record 20 minutes of normal quality video in 1080p60f ... i expected more... can i somehow reduce size of video or something to make more space for records

wrong part of the forum, this is the "film" section, hopefully a moderator will move your post to the correct section soon.

20 minute is the limit for recording -- you bought a camera not a camcorder.

But when i record in 720p60 the limit is 30 mins, i think its because of memory, 45 sec is 125mb in 720p60

best to consult the manual for this specific question ....
D3300_Video1.jpg

and page 158
D3300_Video2.jpg

I think it was mentioned that you bought a camera and not a video camcorder. For unlimited video it's best to buy a camcorder. If you ever checked a camcorder you'll see they can do still photos but the quality is, less say, very unexciting.

All the *newer* stuff is getting better and better at cross functionality though.

best to consult the manual for this specific question ....
View attachment 144844
and page 158
View attachment 144843
I think it was mentioned that you bought a camera and not a video camcorder. For unlimited video it's best to buy a camcorder. If you ever checked a camcorder you'll see they can do still photos but the quality is, less say, very unexciting.

All the *newer* stuff is getting better and better at cross functionality though.
Thanks m8, somehow i missed that page :D

here's some old information on the limits and why they exist
==> Why Digital Cameras Have a 30 Minute Video Recording Limit - Tested.com
==> Why is there a limit restriction to the 1080p film video recording time duration on DSLRs?

in short (excluding the political / contractual stuff)
  • the cameras operating FAT32 system support of only 4GB files.
  • overheating issues

of course newer cameras can overcome these issues by having "spanning" over multiple 4GB files (assuming still FAT32), and some of the Canon cameras using DSLR sensors have fan systems for cooling.

In Astrophotography you can purchase a D5500 that is specifically cooled to improve images and prevent sensor overheating. Here's an example ==> https://petapixel.com/2016/10/11/cooled-nikon-d5500a-chills-sensor-clearer-star-photos/

But as you can read, the cooling prevents sensor overheat which gives a noisier black which would affect the entire image. So, for simplicity, you can correlate this into regular cameras and overheating too.

Why do you want to record clips longer than 20 minutes?

Most of the best videos are short clips, usually no longer than a few seconds each, edited together to make a longer video.

Last edited:
I don't do a lot of DSLR Video but have yet to run across an instance where there were not breaks that allowed the camera to stop for a couple of seconds and start back up in a new file. Even a lecture or a ballgame has had short breaks where the camera can be reset. For ease of editing I go for short bits of video anyway.

Most reactions

Back