I need information on Free software program to edit photos..

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need information on Free software program to edit photos..especially simple things like cropping ... somehow when i had my computer serviced i lost the program i was using..i don't even see it listed in the control panel etc..so i quess it was totally wiped out.. i am using windows 7 and there does not seem to be a free program anymore.. i want to be able to load photos on and crop all in one place.. not have to load the photos onto photo sites.. please help..hope i made sense.. thanks

Well the best legal freeware software for photo editing would be GIMP. That's probably about the best to get hold of for no cost.

Otherwise the current version of Lightroom can still be bought and operated without the subscription account and it will do most of the basic editing (cropping, cloning, resizing, etc..) that a photographer needs.

... somehow when i had my computer serviced i lost the program i was using..
You can usually download it again. They have your records. If you paid once, you should still be able to get it.

If it was free, but is now a charge software, then you might have to pay for it.

GIMP & FastStone are the best free packages I know off.
FastStone is much easier to use but not as powerful (it does all the basic stuff)
GIMP is open source & is similar in power to older versions of Photoshop. I think there was also GIMPshop a variant with more Photoshop like menus. I've hardly played with either.

GIMP & FastStone are the best free packages I know off.
FastStone is much easier to use but not as powerful (it does all the basic stuff)
GIMP is open source & is similar in power to older versions of Photoshop. I think there was also GIMPshop a variant with more Photoshop like menus. I've hardly played with either.
thanks so much

Well the best legal freeware software for photo editing would be GIMP. That's probably about the best to get hold of for no cost.

Otherwise the current version of Lightroom can still be bought and operated without the subscription account and it will do most of the basic editing (cropping, cloning, resizing, etc..) that a photographer needs.
I will try gimp first.. then move over to fast stone.. just to try them..

I need information on Free software program to edit photos..especially simple things like cropping ... somehow when i had my computer serviced i lost the program i was using..i don't even see it listed in the control panel etc..so i quess it was totally wiped out.. i am using windows 7 and there does not seem to be a free program anymore.. i want to be able to load photos on and crop all in one place.. not have to load the photos onto photo sites.. please help..hope i made sense.. thanks
There is still a load of free programs, plugins etc, if you want to try more interesting programs for (creative) editing, please PM me.
Absolutely recommended (click these links to download free programs):

Paint.Net
XnViewer
PhotoScape
Magix PhotoDesigner7
PT PhotoEditor
RAW Therapee

Success.
this is awesome thanks.. i tried using Nikon as i have in the past.. but they don't have it free anymore.. i just want to be able to edit when i need too.. so glad you gave me a list.. because if you click the wrong ones.. you get a virus on pc.. so much phony links now.. thanks again

If you can find a site to download Picasa.
I use that for basic editing; straightening, crop, limited lighting (beyond very basic I take it into PS Elements), basic color correction.
Goggle no longer supports it, so you cannot download from Goggle :apologetic:

I use that for basic editing; straightening, crop, limited lighting (beyond very basic I take it into PS Elements), basic color correction.
i will try to find it but i doubt i will if google does not have it..

There are sites that you can download stuff from when the original site is gone.
Try doing a Goggle search.
But I would be careful of some of these sites, as there may be malware on them.

There are sites that you can download stuff from when the original site is gone.
thank you.. i know the sites are really risky if your not super careful.. i do not think google is what it use to be either.. thanks

thank you.. i know the sites are really risky if your not super careful.. i do not think google is what it use to be either. I think google took over Picasa.. when i searched for it it took me to google photos.. i don't know if i can trust this photo google.. so i have to check it out more and run my virus protector... thanks

i do not know why there are so many posts.. i better run my virus protector now...but before i go i just want to give you a big thank you..i have picasa and it is just what i wanted..just what i needed............thanks so much..

Most reactions

Back