i need like a 30mm or close to that macro

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by just x joey, Jun 27, 2007.

1. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    the smallest one nikon makes is 60mm, thats too long for me, is there any other very close up focusing lenses around 30mm?

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Not strictly macro, but Sigma makes a number of wide-angle lenses with short minimum focusing distances.

3. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    is the sigma 30mm got close focusing distance, or cna u gimme sum examples maybe?

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why do you need a wide angle macro lens? There is a reason that manufacturers don't make them. You have to practically touch the lens to the subject to reach 1:1 at 30mm.

5. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    even with the 1.6x crop factor? plus i want it so i soot portraits, and also use it for macro without having to swithc my lens

6. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I don't know about the 30mm, I was thinking more of the 28mm, 24mm and 20mm f/1.8 lenses.

Having said that, Matt is right. There are certainly situations where a wide-angle with close focusing distance can be useful... but you mention wanting a lens for both portraits and macro work... personally when I think of a lens for those uses I think of something like a 90mm macro lens rather than a 30mm close-focus one. I assume your portraits are full-body ones? And as for macro work will you really be able to get that close to the subjects?

7. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Macro lenses are rated for their ability to produce a 1:1 magnification ratio on a 35mm negative. Your sensor is not showing you all of that 35mm negative, but the lenses are still based on it.

What subjects are you planning to shoot with your macro lens? If it's going to be anything alive, like butterflies or other skittish things, the longer the lens, the better.

You don't want to shoot portraits with a 30mm lens. You won't want less than a 50mm. I would look at a Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro.

8. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Besides that if you shoot portraits with a macro every little skin imperfection or blemish will show up like they are giant. You want a little softness in a portrait lens.

9. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    how do u know i want a little softness in a portrait lens? maybe im shooting portraits where i want extreme details? cause that's exactly why i asked the question why the hell wuld i ask for a macro lens if i wanted softness? cmon doood. when u assume u make an ass out of u and me.

10. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Joey, relax. You'll get plenty of details no matter what lens you use. The key is how you shoot. Using a fast enough shutter speed or using a tripod, and stopping down 2-3 stops from the max aperture will give you good sharpness on any lens.

11. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for tryn to help, lol.