I need Marketing Help!!!

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by eravedesigns, May 21, 2007.

1. eravedesigns

eravedesigns TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello my name is Phillip

I come to this forum a lot for many different reasons from Photography to this business section and to just learn about what new gear to buy and such.

I have been struggling to run a business of mine called Erave Designs(www.eravedesigns.com) . It first started off as a graphic design website where I could showcase my work and try to get jobs online through forums. Its not registered as any type of business or has any trademarks witch I should probably do.

What I want to do is make my business target local business and individuals in my area. The online forums don’t pay as much and you find yourself hunting for jobs instead of receiving them. I really really need some help on getting some local business.

I know that the best way to get business is word of mouth but how do I get those first couple jobs that really lay down the path? who should I contact? Should I place ads in the newspaper?

I need some help on how to manage some money to get my business on the road and professional. I have the summer coming up and I will have lots of time to work on it and travel around trying to get some shoots in.

Here is my current situation:
    -I have a home studio in the works that contains a big 9ft wide backdrop
    -I have a B400 Alienbee
    -Some reflectors and other numerous studio gear (I would buy another light if I need to)
    -I have a Sony A100 with two lenses but I need to get something faster if I want to do weddings and portraits. (I might try and get some sort of 40-80mm 2.8)
    -I am very good at graphic design and I would also do graphic design jobs as part of my business
    -I have a 135-400mm sigma so I could also do sports photography

I don’t really mind what I shoot and I have a lot of grounds covered to shoot many different categories of photography. Right now I just want to get some good business and get things rolling.

Please help me get on my feet! :hail:

If you would like to email me please contact me at skultep@eravedesigns.com

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On the equipment tip...your B400 isn't good for much more than hair or low-level fill light. You really need a high key light. I'd recommend a Bowens Travelite 750...they run about $300 on ebay.

You need to resize the site's layout. It's too wide. Your average web user has a screen resolution of 1024x768...1136px is too wide. If you're looking to market the site online, shoot me a PM.

As far as ground-level marketing goes. Business cards are #1. You need a well-designed card, and you need some of them with you AT ALL TIMES. I'll have to think over some other schemes...my marketing work was never quite this grassroots.

3. eravedesigns

eravedesigns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ya the site is a bit wide right now I am kinda ****ed about that I should play with it a bit.

Light wise I think my b400 works really well most of the time I have to actually turn it down because its to much but if I were to get something more it would be a B800 or B1600 from alienbee.

The online market for graphic design is way to competetive for me right now and photography is usually done locally (or i can only do it locally)