i need some advice.

awinnerneverquits

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First of all, I am new to this site so im not quite sure if im posting this in the right category, but the beginners place seemed to be the best place.
I am a photography student in Arkansas, and I plan on pursuing photography as a life long career, but I am really unsure about what kind of training I need. I hate college, and plan on leaving after this semester, and the photography major they have here isn't really helping me out too much, focusing less on photography and focusing more on fine arts. I was just wondering if it was needed to have a degree in art to be able to pursue, or if i could get some other kind of training. I have been looking at the new york institute of photography and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it and if it was helpful or not. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out and give me some advice on what I would need to do. I plan on probably doing a lot of freelance and stock photos.
Thanks alot, and thanks for being patient and reading all of this.

Your gut is right. I am not a pro photographer, but I know how these industries work. It is infinitely more valuable for you to go and apprentice for a photographer, and then to become an assistant for a few years. If you do it in a town like NY while taking courses at a photo school it's even better. There are some well-known photography schools in the country (the one in Santa Barbara comes to mind) that can give you a leg up, but you will still need (and want!) to go the assistant route.

If you're serious about becoming a photographer, get out of school, go to work, and/or go to a school that is serious about photography.

Good luck, make sure you stay part of this community, and post pictures. You'll get good feedback if you ask for it.

Most reactions

Back