I need some help with band photography

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Phazan, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Phazan

Phazan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A band is paying me $50 to take pictures and video Friday, and I need help with band photography. The problems I had last time were I couldn't focus in the low light, and I also getting fast enough shutter speeds. I've got a 50m 1.8, and a 17-85 4.0 IS. even at 1.8, I still got low shutter speeds. Hopefully this time it will be brighter. I know it can be done, but how?? Also any other help in general or links about band photography would be great! Thank you!

2. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What was your ISO set at? If you are in a dark club, you'll be looking at 1600+ I would think.

In such low light, the 1.8 might give you depth of field issues if shooting a bigger scene as well.

3. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you really can't get the shutter speed faster, find a way to stabilize the camera. A tripod is preferable, but you might also be able to improvise with various flat surfaces and small items to prop-up the lens or body depending on your environment. I agree, 1.8 is going to give you DoF issues; that's a *really* short DoF, especially when shooting moving subjects, like a band.

If you can, you might also want to consider a flash. But that's largely dependant on your environment and what sort of things you have to strap onto your flash to throw light where you want.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The DOF is also effected by the lens to subject distance. The further from the subject the lens is the deeper the DOF.

5. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think this, combined with bracing yourself against various stable objects, is probably going to be your solution.

6. delizo23

delizo23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/166965-boogiejuice-hip-hop-event.html

here is a link to a thread i made a couple days ago here on TPF.
    its not a band but its a DJ
    it was really dark in there.
    i used a sb-600 flash at 1/4 power
    stock 18-135 lens at f/4.5, iso 200
    shutter speed of 1 second

this is a kinda of effect you can use, light trails. if you dont want the trails. maybe you can put your cam on a tripod. use a flash so that it freezes the scene. and let the extra seconds of the lens being open to gather the extra light. and since theyre paying you, maybe you can make it even more professional and set up an umbrella or something. do some off cam strobing.

ps: oh yea i dont know if you have a flash or not. if you dont, then ignore this whole post haha.

7. Phazan

Phazan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^I have a flash, I'll see if I can use it. Those pictures are pretty cool too!
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess I'll have to settle for grainy pictures haha. I really hope I can use a flash, that seems like my best bet but I'll have to play around. I have a 3 song, and then later a 4 song area to try and get some good pictures..Then back up to run the camcorders :D Busy night haha

And another thing though, they want me to get "artistic" shots. Like one behind the drummer they said, looking into the crowd? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Thank you

8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    see if you can get to the club they are playing at to scope out the scene = also if you get the chance as soon as you can see if you can watch them play (or at least setup onstage in practice) so that you have an idea for space - shots like that are all well and good but its no good if your bumping into the drummer as he plays. Might be that they have to move a few things around to get the shot if they want it.

9. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, warm up sessions and sound checks are often a good time to snap some pictures as well. There aren't many people there and you can still get in close for some decent detailed shots, facial expressions and so on.

10. Phazan

Phazan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm. Sounds good, I forgot to mention they're playing at a theater. But Thanks for the help, I'm gonna be with them all day while they set up and stuff so hopefully that will help

11. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its always good to get some pictures of bands "goofing off" backstage as well. The more personal / intimate moments behind the scenes that fans don't always see make great additions inside any CD cover :)

12. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why are you using ISO200?

If you are going to use your D200, crank that baby up and get it to ISO1000 at least.

Try to keep it low to keep the noise down, but try a higher ISO.