I need some help with my New Nikon D40

The whole point of the DSLR is to have complete control. You will get a handle on it eventually and you will be so happy because the camera wont make stupid decesions

But then you cant blame the camera =/

Guys I hate to admit it but I am a Camera noob to say the least. THis weekend I shot some pictures in Shutter mode and most of the pics came out great. I will try shooting indoors in Manual mode but I think I need to get a better understanding of the F-Stop and Iso before I try it.

While I am here I would like to ask another question. THe main reason I bought the camera was to take outdoor action pictures. Because of this I keep the 55-200mm lens on all the time. My wife wanted to use the new camera in the house the other night and complained that the pics were coming out blurry, is this because of the larger Zoom lens indoors?

As others have said, the blur is caused by long shutter times. Since there is not enough light, the camera is choosing a long (slow) shutter speed to let more light in. You can compensate by increasing the ISO (making the sensor more sensitive) and opening the aperture (wider opening lets in more light, so use the lowest F number possible - smaller F numbers mean larger aperture). You may need to add a flash. I'm not familiar with Canon, but they have flashes which can be angled to bounce light off of the ceiling which gives a nice soft light.

you may need to add a flash. I'm not familiar with Canon, but they have flashes which can be angled to bounce light off of the ceiling which gives a nice soft light.
there are a lot of good flashes out there. but i use them for indoor photos only. when i take outdoor photos i play around with the aperture. the most important thing in digital photography is to test all possible parameters. The ISO should be very high... don't forget to make a note somewhere, what settings you used!

I have been using the ISO Auto feature, Should I turn this off and adjust it manually?

Most reactions

Back