I need some help...

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by bytch_mynickname, Jun 6, 2006.

1. bytch_mynickname

bytch_mynickname TPF Noob!

I am a beginner and would like your opinion, OTE. Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ty :D

give me a bit to do something w/it(them). i'm not as young as i feel.

3. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It would also be helpful to let us know why you are seeking critique. Are you satisfied with your images technically, but not aesthetically - or vice-versa?

What do you want the viewer to think of when seeing these?

4. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    this is his from a thread in a different forum:

I am new here and to photography beyond a point and shoot. I recently bought a Canon Rebel XT and so far only have the kit lens. I have been practicing and need some constructive criticism. They aren't anything special but I need to start somewhere.

5. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok, the proboscis wielding fella first.

speaking to composition:

1 - i love the fact that you placed it at the right of the frame. there's sufficient weight on the left to balance its size and color.

2 - my eyes can't help but want a small crop up from the bottom. you can either create 'space' or 'tension'. space doesn't work here. create tension with the edges of the frame. something like this:

[​IMG]

a composition overlay to show you how things align (the red marks are the significant areas of difference):

cropped:

[​IMG]

original:

[​IMG]

3 - see yellow area(s) below:

[​IMG]

these are slightly bothersome. when i first looked at the image, i thought the poor thing was somewhat disfigured. the mind does eventually realize that the geometric shapes match the others in the image and the flower correlation takes hold, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that the placement of the petals do detract from the image.

points on exposure:

1 - your whites are blown out. you can get away with that with the background flowers as a shallow dof blur tends to neutralize a wash out, but the foreground flowers have no detail and my eyes want it.

2 - i don't have many visual clues, but my guess is that it was shot somewhere between 10:30ish and 5ish. i haven't a clue as to where you live, but here that is the 'poo poo light' time period . my point is that you should attempt to shoot in the morning or the evening. why? the image is slightly flat. ever so slight shadows will help build depth.

a while back i was setting up to do some studio shooting which happened to include flowers. flitting about setting up, my female cat decided that she'd have a go at the flowers. i had no intention of it being a 'good shot', just a shot of good ol' Psyche doing what she does best; eating things that i need. when i saw it, my reaction was 'UGH', even though it was for the archives destined for memory massage only. here it is:

[​IMG]

see how flat that sucker is? no depth. (she ate it, btw).

so try to get 'good' light. this should also help with the blowing out of the whites. a nice diffused light is a wonderful thing.

OR, as suggested elsewhere, a different angle would've helped add depth.

one more thing on depth.

[​IMG]

imagine the center flower as not being there. then add detail the blue areas. now the wings ever so slightly elevated casting a nice shadow.

the reason i asked you to post it here is because i believe that you are on to something. this is an image that's nicely weighted without a bunch of irrelevant information in the shot.

keep it up.

6. bytch_mynickname

Wow, that was very helpful. It is amazing at what the little things can do. You are right about the time, it was about 4ish and it was overcast out (Pennsylvania.)

What about the farm picture, is it decent? I really like it for some reason, I think it almost looks like a post card. Not sure if that is good or bad but there is something about it that grabs my attention. I knowneed to get rid of that white thing in the one tree top.

Thanks for all the help, I will keep it in mind.

7. magicmonkey

magicmonkey TPF Noob!

Well, I'm at work at the moment and only have microsoft picture manager to edit with (I know, but they'll sack me if I install photoshop) so I've had to do one edit for the sky and one for the landscape as they need treating differently. I've done a slight crop from the bottom and right to get the landscape around 1/3 up on the right hand side, the tree tops around the same area on the other side and get rid of the grass in the foreground at the bottom. The clouds also work with the composition well with that strong band about a third down.

Original:

[​IMG]

Anyway, here's what I would do with the sky as I'd like to see some more detail in the clouds and a deeper blue for the background:

[​IMG]

All I've done here is darken the midtones a little and give the contrast a slight boost, with a decent program you can do this to the sky alone and not the whole picture.

Same with the ground really except I've boosted both midtones and contrast to make the trees stand out more from the landscape.

[​IMG]

Once again, with a decent program you can selsct which area of the picture to work with rather than having to work on the whole thing.

If you are able to retake the shot at all I would strongly suggest a polarizing filter as it will darken the sky and bring out richer colours in the landscape when you take the shot and will usually come up with much better results than you can get in photoshop.

ps. Take everything I say with a pinch of salt, I'm pretty much a newbie myself but I'm REALLY bored at work! :D

*edit* have also shrunk them a bit as well, sorry about that!

8. bytch_mynickname

I can see what you mean about the different parts of the pic but it is kind of hard to 'see' it in my mind just b/c of how you posted the separate pictures. I am only working with photoshop elements but when I get time I will have to play around with it and see what I can do (still learning the program too. I am a complete n00b:blushing: )

I can retake the shot but I need to get the polarizing filter first. I just got my camera and haven't bought the accessories yet...working on that!

Thank you for your critique, I am taking it with more than a grain of salt, you do have more experience and very valids points. Thanks again.

9. magicmonkey

magicmonkey TPF Noob!

sorry, I meant to post an edit on one pic last night but got caught up with a load of other things, I'll try and sort it out tonight and post an edit with just one pic and a walk through of how I got there although there are people on these boards who would do a much better job than me!

10. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is a very interesting and informative thread in a lot of ways. I don't agree with a lot of it, but I do think It is the type thing that should be going on here.

Of course it also reminds me a little of alice's restaurant and the blind judge.

11. magicmonkey

magicmonkey TPF Noob!

Well I had to go look that up but I can see what you mean. I usually don't go in for posting on the critique gallery as I don't really consider myself a good photographer (yet...) just pretty bored at work and saw a shot I thought had some potential for a good edit and couldn't keep my hands off!

What don't you agree with and what would you suggest?

12. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    BTW, the "rule of thirds" is a simplified way of using the golden ratio shown above.

I haven't tried it, but you might find this plugin interesting.