i need some tips.

jdmwannabee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
this saturday i will be taking some pics for some friends of mine. they are for a christmas card. they want the pics to be taken on a mississippi gulf coast beach (great ides for christmas i know, but its what they want) it will probably be around 4 pm or so when i start shooting so the sun will be getting lower in the sky, it will be pitch black by 6 or a little after.

so here is my problem, I HAVE NEVER TAKEN PICS OF PEOPLE! only cars and old houses and stuff.

i will be using a canon power shot sd1000. so no fancy camera stuff. any tips or pointers will help.

THANKS!

trial and error. learn from mistakes

What about taking pics in low light conditions? Any tips for that?

I did a check of the canon power shot sd1000 on the net & suggest you limit the ISO to a max of 200 as you will get excessive noise above that. I think I would use the "P" setting With ISO 200 & as others have suggested take lots of shots.

I'm still a noob but I would suggest just getting good composition. Balance the picture out, have good focal point, etc.

Check around for tutorials on the rule of thirds. Head-in-the-center-of-the-frame shots are scary.

If you have people facing away from the camera (to the left, right, etc.), make sure you give them enough breathing room. So, for example, if they're looking to the right, make sure there is empty space to their right. This gives the viewer a preview of what they're looking at. Conversely, if you want to create tension, you can put them right by the edges.

Don't be afraid to do candid, and don't forget that while a sunset may be nice, you need to capture light on their faces too so pose them appropriately.

Most reactions

Back