I need to build a portfolio, any help wanted!

cbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.desigzgallery.com
Hello All!

Well I decided today I should start work on my Portfolio so that i can just add to it rather than rush and worry when i need it. Plus i thought be best to update it constantly so i dont forget anything. I am intresting in creating a portfolio for everything though including my photos, what exactly should i include and how should i go about it?

All opinions wanted..

I was being slightly sarcastic in last post.

But I can only answer generally, since you're asking a very general question.

Yep, be a little more specific. Taking the folio to add to your CV. Well, what's on your CV? Are you a photo major? Are you hoping to get a job photographing weddings? Nature? Machinery? Products? You have to say something with your portfolio. If you want it businesslike, you're not going to put sappy shallow DoF photos of a puppy in there. (Unless you want ME to hire you.) :lol: Know what I mean?

As a graphic designer I'm always changing pieces in and out of my portfolio to suit what I think my interviewer will want to see. Heavy typography? Heavy image? Doc's right, it helps us help you if we know more specifically what you want to accomplish :)

Here's some general vague advice:

The basics of photography are an understanding of the relationship of the camera to it's environment. Therefore you should try and show the following technical abilities in your portfolio:

Understanding motion. Avoiding clichés like traffic trails and waterfalls, can you take a picture which demonstrates a shutter speed which adds something to a shot.

Understanding exposure. Again, avoiding the "puppy" shot, but can you show a picture which lets people know that you understand "the blurry thing".

Understanding subject/content. You wouldn't pose a rock group feeding the ducks in the park, and equally you wouldn't do a shot of your gran standing in front of graffiti and barbed wire. (Unless it was deliberate)

Composition: No subjects dead-centre, no horizons bisecting the image, no stray crap in the shot. Keep em clean, keep em clever.

Do NOT under any circumstances include any of the following unless they are going to be world-class:

Sunsets
Waterfalls
Birds in the park
Clouds

Also don't include any shots which were a lucky accident and turned out kinda cool. You didn't mean it, so it doesn't mean anything.

Right, that's about it for me. If anyone wants to disagree, please do jump right in, I just think aloud really!

Rob

PachelbelsCanon350D said:
As a graphic designer I'm always changing pieces in and out of my portfolio to suit what I think my interviewer will want to see. Heavy typography? Heavy image? Doc's right, it helps us help you if we know more specifically what you want to accomplish :)

I agree, its always best to consider the business in hand rather than to just include what 'you like'. good luck

It might be pointing out that when people interview you for a job which isn't "photographer" then you're gonna send a pretty clear message that you want to be a photographer to them. This may affect your chances of employment in another field.

If you want to build a good photography portfolio, then buy this book. I highly recommend it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1582972109/sr=1-2/qid=1138362614/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-9447037-9412951?%5Fencoding=UTF8[/ame]

Thanks everyone, Well I want to be a Press Photography mainly so it will be based around that with cuttings and pictures of my photos whichn have appeared in papers and on internet news sites. Plus when i go to The Times in London for a week work experience i can place all my photos from that in there. :D

Thanks Everyone!

Most reactions

Back