I need to buy a camera for AP Studio Art 2D

V

VehementBehemoth

And I really don't know much about photography except how to tweak it in Photoshop. (Which I'm moderately experienced at).

I was thinking about getting the Nikon D60, but I don't know which lens I should get. Would the 18-55mm be sufficient? I want to take quality photos and take them a step further in Photoshop.

I live in San Diego; where can I get a camera and lens at a great price, and what's the typical price for a default D60 body kit and lens?

Here's the mediocre stuff I can do with my point-and-shoot:
tree2ke6.jpg

A base model like the Nikon D40 or Canon XT with the kit lens should suffice. The D60 would be a great camera too, but there are many who think it is not as good a value as the D40. The kit lens will be enough unless you need to zoom in on far away objects (which would call for a telephoto lens like the 55-200 VR) or do a lot of close-up macro shots (which would call for a macro lens). Some on here will suggest getting a nifty fifty (50mm fixed lens) to have a nice fast and sharp lens, but I'd start with just the kit lens, see how far you get with that and take it from there. I've had fun shooting with my 50mm lens (despite having to manually focus it on my D40), but it gets little use because it's not wide enough for most of what I like to shoot (even on my film cameras i find it to be too long even though it's great on both film and DX for portrait shots). I got my D40, a couple of my lenses and many of my accessories on amazon.com, some accessories on ebay and most of my film gear on keh.com, but many others have recommended a reputable online camera shop like bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com. I got my D40 with kit lens (along with a camera bag and other freebies) barely used from a private seller on amazon.com for under 400 bucks last spring. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Can't help you with your Nikon question but the PP of that picture to look like film is pretty good...almost looks like a Polaroid.

I am new here . And I want be a photographer. for this what type of cousre should I do? I want also buy a camera for this. Tell me brand of Camera. You did show very nice snap.

Thank you for the responses guys. :]

I was thinking about a D60 because I wanted to have the ability to possibly blow up posters of my shots. Should I just get the D60 over the D40 because it's better in that field?

BTW, I was thinking about buying from Costco because of their return policy. Is this a rip off?
Costco - $699.99 after $150 Savings Nikon D60 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR 10.2MP 2.5" 3 Frames/sec
That looks like a decent deal, considering they're throwing in the 55-200 VR (plus you're getting the newer VR version of the 18-55, not that VR is anywheres as necessary at the wide end as it is at 200mm, but it can still be very useful). The 10mp of the D60 would help with cropping and printing posters, plus it has a few cool features missing from the D40 (not necessary but helpful) like sensor cleaning and the LCD sensor that turns off the LCD screen when you put your head up to it. Have you played around with any of these cameras? You might prefer the feel or setup of a Canon or Sony over the Nikon. I personally have a hard time using Canon dSLRs but love (for the most part) the way my Nikon feels and works, but you may like the Canons better than a Nikon or Sony. I've also heard very good things about Pentax cameras, though I've never used one (other than the old school film SLR I had to help a customer get the film out of one time).

no doubt that the D40 is a great camera for the value but I just really hate that the camera did not have built in AF, you always have to get AF-S lenses for it unless u want to manually focus. so my 2 cents.. get a camera with built in auto focus, that way you are more flexible with lenses. (thats just what i think)

found a cheaper deal on amazon (through adorama on amazon):
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0013HOW6M/ref=dp_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1232613189&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Used and New: Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens with 2 Nikon School DVDs[/ame]
the first one (at least when i checked it) being sold by adorama was the cheapest one for 649 plus $15 shipping

no doubt that the D40 is a great camera for the value but I just really hate that the camera did not have built in AF, you always have to get AF-S lenses for it unless u want to manually focus. so my 2 cents.. get a camera with built in auto focus, that way you are more flexible with lenses. (thats just what i think)
This is true to an extent, but there is already (2 years since the D40 came out) a decent number of decent aftermarket zoom lenses with the built-in motor that aren't that much more expensive than the motor-less versions of those lenses, and most if not all of the newer Nikkor lenses are AF-S. The problem is if you want an older lens (one which is cheaper than the newer lenses) which doesn't have the motor, or a fixed length lens like the nifty fifty which doesn't have the motor. New fixed length lenses are being offered with the motor (with more to come), but they cost a lot. If this is all a problem, the D80 w/ kit lens can be found for not much more than the D60 w/ the two lenses...
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HGIWN4/ref=dp_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1232614468&sr=1-1[/ame]

found a cheaper deal on amazon (through adorama on amazon):
Amazon.com: Used and New: Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens with 2 Nikon School DVDs
the first one (at least when i checked it) being sold by adorama was the cheapest one for 649 plus $15 shipping

That is the deal I would go with I got the same setup basicly with a couple other things thrown in from wolf camera for about the same price.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The thread is well over a year old and your link is broken. ;)

The D60 has been discontinued.

I am selling my D40X with at least one lens. I have had the camera for about 2 years and am looking to upgrade. It is great for switching from a point and shoot. I have an 18-55mm lens, a 55-200mm lens and a 35mm lens which is great for portraits. Would you be interested?

I am selling my D40X with at least one lens. I have had the camera for about 2 years and am looking to upgrade. It is great for switching from a point and shoot. I have an 18-55mm lens, a 55-200mm lens and a 35mm lens which is great for portraits. Would you be interested?
No.

I already have a couple of D300s and D3's.

TPF has a
Buy and Sell
Consider this the TPF Classifieds! Looking to buy or sell photographic equipment?

When you sell you D40x, I have a low mileage D200 for sale. There is a link in my siggy.

Most reactions

Back