I need to deside on 5 lenses for my Canon 70d

MarcusDutt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking to get some lenses for my canon 7od that I'm getting for some time now and I've been looking but there are so many options for each type of lens. I'm looking for a wide-angle lens and a range of different lenses for sport, landscapes and low light.

Thanks, Marcus.

50mm f/1.8 STM
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM II
85mm f/1.8
300mm f/4 (or f/2.8)
400mm f/2.8 (If you've got $10k to throw around.)
11/24mm f/4

That should fill just about all of your needs except macro and tilt shift.

Unless you have lots of experience with other systems and know which lenses you'll use and for how much, buying 5 at once seems, tbh, crazy.
I have about 45000 images in my LR database that goes back about 11 years (I toss a lot of images) and about one third are with a 24-70 equivalent, then 70-200, then 85mm with the rest scattered.
I can't imagine that those I deleted had much of a different distribution.
What you shoot determines what lenses you use.

Get one that hits the right spot and then add as you see the need.

Last edited:
look at the Canon 10-18 for a wide angle

Why 5 lenses?
Find one/two great lenses that will get you shooting what you want to shoot most. Then you'll get a better understanding of what you are lacking. IMHO buying 1/2 great lenses is a much better purchase then getting 5 mediocre lenses.

Oh and since no budget is mentioned I won't begin to try and recommend a lens.

Just assuming you are a middle class American.

Canon 10-18 STM
Canon 50mm f1.8 STM
Canon 18-135 USM/STM
Canon 300mm f4 L
Canon 85mm f1.8

That should hold you over assuming you have nice flashes, tripod, remote, software, bags, cleaning equipment, education.

If you have a less common budget these recommendations will be completely different.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back