I need to rant...

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[Begin Rant] I am so tired of seeing everyone think they can just start up a photography business and think they are good. I am sorry but it takes more than a good camera to take a good picture. You need to have a creative intuition at least. I really don't know how to word what I am trying to say. It just seems like anyone thinks they can pick up a camera and start a business now days. I am in no way saying I am good, but I am not starting up a business either. Here is an example of what I am talking about... Login | Facebook Slutty does not equal artistic.[End Rant]

Sorry, just had to get that out there. What are yalls opinion?

Last edited:
I guess that is true, but I would be mad if my wedding pictures came back like those.

yeah so would i to be bluntly honest. I don't do wedding photography at all so i can't really give a opinion but from a outsider's point of view i'd be asking for my money back if it was a paid job, I've seen a lot better with little P&S cameras than that lot

Note:. havn't even gone to the modelling section yet..... to scared to look :)

my 2.5 cents worth

Maybe she's a friend of the bride and the bride is being nice? I see where you're coming from though. I am really brand new to photograhy but I realize that it takes alot of hardwork and artistic capabilities. I don't understand why others can't see that. It's not only in photography either. It's just like when you were kids when you tried out for sport, band, what ever, we didn't always make the team. Now "you can be anything you want to be". Sorry, that's not real life and I really wish people would realize that.

I agree that you need something more to start of a business of any kind.

however...i'll admit i had an idea of starting some sort of business on the side, once i know whats going on and everything.
Haven't you ever done something, and figured you could make a few extra bucks? your doing it anyways? why not make some money while your at it. - that was probably their thought too. who couldn't use some extra money now a days

Yes, they might suck, but that just means their "business" will suffer. the clients (hopefully) will be able to tell the difference between some rich boy that picked up the top of the line equipment than that photographer with 40+ years experience, who may not be using the latest and greatest, but know how to use every little bit of that camera. If they cant, do they really deserve the work of an artist?

just my $0.02

... and good lenses...

It's not just the aspect of "starting a business..."
There is a general misconception that simply buying an expensive camera and a few expensive lenses will 'suddenly' (and magically) transform the buyer into a 'Pro...' capable of making "good" photographs...
It's just not so...
Sure... any photograph from a DSLR is going to be heaps better quality than a snap from a mobile phone camera... But there is a hell-of-a-lot more to a good image than how many pixels you have...
Owning a "good" camera doesn't make anyone a "good" photographer...

Also - There is a BIG difference between what Mr and Mrs Public see when they look at a photograph compared to what an experienced photographer sees...
And - I think - many Noobie's are still at the Mr/Mrs Public level...
Take a snap of Little Miss Mary Public - wearing her new frilly white and ivory dress and red sparkly Dorothy shoes, posing in a busy shopping mall lit by fluorescent lighting... It turns out a stop underexposed and slightly OOF... with a green cast from the lighting and a terribly cluttered background... And Mr and Mrs Public LOVE it...
Cos all THEY see is the 'captured moment' of their darling daughter - looking ever so cute and pretty in her girlie dress and Dorothy shoes...
But the experienced photographer sees BEYOND the cute child and looks at the photograph OBJECTIVELY - can see the technical flaws of poor WB and underexposure and the cluttered snap-shot background...
There's the difference...
Experience...
Jedo

The marketplace will decide. Those who can will prosper. Those who cannot will sell their gear and try something else.

Am not sure this is the exact quote but it goes something like this.

buy a piano and you own a piano

buy a camera and your a photographer

I couldn't get into that site to see the photos, but based on the comments i can will image, and i certainly understand the rant.

Are they great photographers? no. But they can successfully run a business if they are good business people.

The pictures aren't horrible. I've seen worse from people. But I've seen way way better. There are some basics of not only posing, but exposure and composition that they are lacking, plus they have bad photoshop ideas (lets turn the grass all purply!).

But I've seen average photographers, ones who aren't the most artistic people I know, run a good business. Why? They are business people. They offer good products, not the best, but at a good price for the market they are targetting. They have been in business for 15+ years. I'm such getting clients for him is much harder, but still possible.

yay he's taking the heat off of me for my post (the one linked above) LOL

... and good lenses...

There is a general misconception that simply buying an expensive camera and a few expensive lenses will 'suddenly' (and magically) transform the buyer into a 'Pro...' capable of making "good" photographs...
It's just not so...
Jedo

No, no, no. Don't these persons realize that it's also a requirement to buy Photoshop software and screw around with RAW files?

PS - My first SLR was the original "Honeywell Pentax" Spotmatic that I purchased in 1964. I still have it and, as far as I'm aware, it still works.

Who cares, it just makes the real pros look that much better... Survival of the fittest and all that.

After all, this IS still a relatively free country - if people want to charge for their services and people are willing to pay for those services so be it.

Rant away, like all the other people who started threads like this - guess what, it doesn't change a thing - probably doesn't even make you feel better.

Fact is, I got my first DSLR around January of this year and just yesterday I put up an ad in Craigslist offering my services for free (another rant some people have). However I narrowed it down to hunting photography and specifically said I am an amateur looking to gain experience.

We'll see how it goes - if free doesn't work I may change it to $50 per day and see if that generates some hits. :)

I'm not one of them, but there are those who are just naturally gifted and it doesn't take 10,000 photos and 5 years of training to make them good at what they do.

... and good lenses...

It's just not so...
Jedo

No, no, no. Don't these persons realize that it's also a requirement to buy Photoshop software and screw around with RAW files?

PS - My first SLR was the original "Honeywell Pentax" Spotmatic that I purchased in 1964. I still have it and, as far as I'm aware, it still works.

Buy Photoshop? :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back