I need to use the gift card before it expires, what should I get?

MeddlinG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I have a ~200 USD gift card for a local camera shop that expires in the end of the year so I have to spend it. The problem is, I don't really need anything. I have:

Nikon D7000
Nikon 16-85mm
Nikon 35mm f1.8
Great camera strap
Great camera bag
Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT with SBH-100 ballhead
Lastolite reflectors

but I need to buy "something" so the card doesn't expire. I was thinking about:

Flash
50mm 1.8D
Battery Grip
Polarizing Filter

I am shooting architecture, landscapes, people so there is no "obvious" choice.

What would you recommend? (Not only from the list I provided)

I have no idea how you can survive without Nikon 70-300mm VR, this is the lens you should get!!!
Also 50mm 1.8 or 1.4

A good circular polarizer or neutral density filter. You may not use them often but when you need it, it's a godsend.

MeddlinG; a regular Nikon speedlight will cost more than $200, but if you can add to the budget, then I recommend an SB-910. I think your photography will make make quite a leap forward with a speedlight.

Designer:

I would buy a third party flash, I kind of like Nissin Di700, but I am not sure if I would use it too much.

Do you have good software and plenty of hard drive space?

Do you have good software and plenty of hard drive space?

Yes, I have Lightroom 5. I will be buying external hard drive especially for photos, however they do not sell that in that very shop.

I'm with Keith about the Vivatar flash. All my flashes are Nikon brand, but if I knew then what I know now, I would've saved a lot of money.

Next would be the CPL. I use B+W and Hoya Pro Series and have been happy with them. Great in landscape shooting to enhance the greens and blues. Cuts out reflection off water, glass too.

Neutral density filter since you listed you had a polarizer. I'd go variable, just for the compact size, or a set of Cokin type filters if you want to go all out.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

Back