I need your expert advice on which canon to buy.

Thomas Frank

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I recently bought the canon a590 and am pleased with it.

However, I just got my tax return, so I'd like to upgrade.

The two models I'm looking at right now are the canon a650 and the canon sx100 IS.

Why I like the a650: 12 MP resolution, flip out LCD, viewfinder.

Why I like the sx100: bigger sensor, 10x zoom, instantaneous shutter, apparently better in low light.

I'm leaning towards the sx100, but I'd like your opinions. What do you think of these cameras (including the a590 as well)? Which should I buy?

My main wants are image quality and shutter speed.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read, a bigger sensor gets you better image quality because it produces less noise. Is this right?

I don't know what will give me better images - a big sensor or a big resolution.

Resolution only affects the image quality negatively when they cram in pixels in such a tiny sensor that most point-and-shoots have. I'd stick with the 590, though if you would rather have more zoom instead of manual controls (which I don't think this camera has), then go with the 100.

I've read that the sx100 has a full manual mode.

So after deliberation I think I'm going to go with the sx100 because of it's larger sensor, larger zoom, and fast shutter.

However, I'm not a Canon fanboy by any means (I used to swear by Fujifilm), so if anyone has suggestions for another model, I'd like to hear them!

Thanks

Whats your budget?

I've read that the sx100 has a full manual mode.

So after deliberation I think I'm going to go with the sx100 because of it's larger sensor, larger zoom, and fast shutter.

Thanks

The A590 IS uses the exact same processor and sensor as the Sx100. The 590 has slightly better IQ, because the long lens on the SX100 introduces more barrel distortion, softness and fringing. Also the SX100 has no viewfinder, and that's unacceptable IMO.

The A650 has pretty much identical IQ to the 590, but has a faster flash, a flip LCD screen, 6X zoom and more pixels. More pixels would be a benefit for cropping or printing gigantic prints. But the 650 is considerably larger and more expensive than a 590. If I were you I'd keep the 590 until I could afford a DSLR. It's great to have both a pocketable camera and a more capable DSLR for doing things that none of the above can manage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back