I need your help buying an mp3 player!

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to buy a new mp3 player, but am not sure what brand or model to go with. Right now I have an ipod and wouldn't mind switching brands.

What I need:
- superior audio quality (I find the ipod's below average)
- minimum of 40GB
- ability to use the player's hard drive to store files (i.e., photos)
- good battery life (from one charge to the next, but mainly before if needs replacement)
- affordable cost to replace battery (a new battery for my 2-year old ipod would cost about $65... Really? That's 25% of the cost of a brand spankin' new mp3 player!)

So... Zune? Creative Zen? Other?

Thanks for the help in advance, people.

- minimum of 40GB
Wow, you lost me right there. Are there really 40 GB mp3 players? We just bought one recently for my daughter for Christmas. We got a 4 GB and only saw 8 GB max in the stores. The 8 GB were expensive enough. I would think you need to take a loan out for 40 GB.

Well, the mp3 player I'm about to get rid of can store 30GB :) Today I saw one that can store 120GB, and someone at work also mentioned one with 160GB (which is much more than I need)...

Why would you need so much storage anyway? I understand storing files but you're not going to use it as an external hard drive or something

I used to be an MP3 player freak, so I kind of know some great MP3 players. The Cowon D2 cannot be beat in audo quality, however they don't make models that go up to 40GB. You should probably look into some of the iRivers. I have heard great things about their line of players.

The quality of output on any mp3 player is largely a function of the compression/conversion method used.
Mp3 files are of variable quality depending upon the bitrate used when creating them.
The default conversion rate for iTunes (CD > mp3) is quite low. Go into preferences and up it to 190 or more and you will find the sound quality improves.
If you are downloading from a music store then check the bitrate the file has been encoded at. As a rule of thumb the smaller the file size the lower the bitrate.
The optimum setting is to use Variable bitrate and set the upper limit quite high - that way you get the best quality with a smallish file size.
Alternatively use a different compression algorithm. Get a program that encodes using FLAC - this is lossless and high quality (but produces files of very large size). It is possible to play FLAC files through iTunes and I understand you can get programs to make iPods play them.

I use a 120Gb iPod and encode my music with a high bitrate - it works for me and I'm a bit of a music buff.
Oh, and if you are using the earphones that came with the iPod try buying a decent pair - you'll find that helps the quality a lot too ;)

I used to be an MP3 player freak, so I kind of know some great MP3 players. The Cowon D2 cannot be beat in audo quality, however they don't make models that go up to 40GB. You should probably look into some of the iRivers. I have heard great things about their line of players.
Thanks anubis. I'm always weary of brands that are not well known (moreover in these strange economic times), but someone on another forum also mentioned the Cowon D2. Not sure if it's available here in Canada, but I'll try to find it and give it a try.

HVR, thanks for the detailed reply. All my mp3 files are 190 or above (I'm too demanding to settle for 128). The problem with using high bitrates is that you reach your ipod's capacity quicker, especially if you have plenty of files. I used the earphones that came with my ipod for a grand total of 6 minutes, then gave them away and replaced them with Sennheisers.

The problem is that there are a lot of mp3 players out there but none of them have the capacity of the iPod.
But apparently other players can handle FLAC files a lot easier. Or you could try Monkeycoder software to get APE files.

iRiver and Cowon are well known brands, at least in the DAP world. Hertz is right about the headphones. If you want to save some money, get some modified JVC marshmallows. The sound quality is amazing, and they go for about $20. Or, if you want some added comfort, the JVC Air Cushions have just as good of sound quality, but are about $10 more.

Upon more research, the Cowon O2 has come out, the successor to the D2. It will most likely have top of the line audio quality (like the D2). Its largest size is 32GB, however it comes with an integrated SDHC slot, so an 8gb SD card might be in order. This would be my top recommendation of a DAP.

Plus, it looks freakin cool:

o2-PC200094.jpg

Last edited:
Cowons are renowned for their quality. Great players, but lacking the entire 'ecosystem' of things like the iPod or Zune (Hardware, accessories, iTunes/Zune software, music store)...

I have an iPod and and iPhone, but I don't use them as serious sources. The Zune on the other hand has all the same things (I would have a Zune instead right now, but I have my iTunes library just so...and that took weeks), except that it's cheaper, less iFanboyish, and has a very good DAC and amp inside. I say go for that one, or if you don't care about the software, etc. the Cowon is a great choice.

Thanks ClarinetJWD, and thanks again HVR (VERY interesting link... so am I back to the drawing board now?).

The trouble with all audio systems (analogue and digital) is that they all have some defect.
Any improvement in one area means a loss in another.
When they first introduced digital they found that when things faded out instead of the smooth fade you get with analogue there was a distinct cut-off when the level dropped below the digitising threshold. So they had to introduce what they call 'dither' to get over it. It's not perfect but works well enough for average use.
You can also get degradation in digital recordings. The myth is that a 100th generation recording is identical to a first generation recording. But I used to have a demo CD from an audiophile music company that had two tracks - one first generation and one 100th G and the latter actually sounded wooly in comparison.
I don't know if the same thing happens copying digital files in a computer but I wouldn't be surprised. You get artefacts and noise in digital images from compression/decompression cycles so I would imagine the same thing happens with sound files.
The best course is always to work as close to the original as possible - take the first copy using a lossless system like FLAC or APE and then put it on to the mp3 player using minimal or zero compression.
I believe Mac does a lossless mp3 but I've never investigated it. Don't know about PC.
The other thing is to match your components.
The mp3 player/headphone combination can play a big part.
In analogue systems you have to match the best components. You can get units that look great on paper but when put together sound awful. Similarly you can put units together that sound better when combined than you would expect them to.
I'm sure headphones have an effect on mp3 player quality. For one thing the impedance and cable quality will introduce attenuation, acting like a filter to muffle higher frequencies.
It could be that your Sennheiser's aren't the best match. It might be worth trying Sony or something else.
Look for very low impedance - you need lower volume levels to drive them. As you increase volume in any audio system you increase distortion.

Withoutout reading all the above, I can only comment on what I bought. It's been about 3 years, but I got the 30GB Creative Vision:M and found it to be competent. Later for a walk about pod, I got the 2GB Zen. Again, I am completely happy to be on the outside with Creative Labs, rather than an IPOD. but that's just me.

Most reactions

Back