I need your help. This is driving me EFFING INSANE.

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think this is the first time I'm posting for C&C *before* making an image public.

...Because there is something that has been driving me insane about this photo for the past 24 hours.

I was at my friend's house yesterday and he made some comments, and his artist roommate made some comments, but after *thinking* I had it settled yesterday, I opened it up to write a blog post, and it's still driving me nuts.

Or was.

I think I'm okay with it now, but... I'm not entirely confident in that decision. :lol:

So tell me what you think. I'm not going to say what's been bothering me, because I want to see if someone else mentions it or not.

IMG_8081 (2).jpg

I think it's a great portrait. Love the lighting and the post-process. If I wanted to be picky, I could say that the little thing in the lower left corner is bothering me a bit (no idea what it is) and there is a white "hole" in her hair just over her right shoulder that looks strange too. But the important thing for me is those eyes that are drawing me to her and held me there, wanting to know more. That, in itself, tells me you did a good job on the other side of the lens :)

Going over the image nit by nit, in no particular order:

-Bright window, highlights on top of couch & distracting background;

-Light position too low;

-Eyes too dark;

-Dark hair image right blending with dark top;

-Missing right arm; and

-Highlight/shadow balance on face doesn't seem quite right.

Is it the missed focus, bad exposure and poor composition? ;)

Is it the whitish hairs on her sweater (long-haired cat hairs?) and the small white flecks on her sweater? or the big sensor dust blob that's on her arm area? or her slightly uneven top lip? Or the ever-so-slight light colored line (?) under her lower lip. I dunno...I see those things, but I'm looking pretty intently for really big,bad wolf flaws...not seeing anything that I think "most people" would see immediately. But dark sweaters like that can be a massive lint- and hair-fest.

Now as to this "Driving you EFFING INSANE." business you speak of. Do you maybe mean, just, like,well, "Opening the car door for you at the already arrived at destination of insanity?" I mean, I thought you already made the drive to Insanity years ago! Mebbe??? lol ;-)

I think it's a great portrait. Love the lighting and the post-process. If I wanted to be picky, I could say that the little thing in the lower left corner is bothering me a bit (no idea what it is) and there is a white "hole" in her hair just over her right shoulder that looks strange too. But the important thing for me is those eyes that are drawing me to her and held me there, wanting to know more. That, in itself, tells me you did a good job on the other side of the lens :)

Thanks. :allteeth:

And yeah, I still need to crop it. I had the table cropped out, but then I scrapped that image and started over and I haven't cropped this one yet.

Is it the missed focus, bad exposure and poor composition? ;)

*Definitely* did not miss focus on this.

Is it the whitish hairs on her sweater (long-haired cat hairs?) and the small white flecks on her sweater? or the big sensor dust blob that's on her arm area? or her slightly uneven top lip? Or the ever-so-slight light colored line (?) under her lower lip. I dunno...I see those things, but I'm looking pretty intently for really big,bad wolf flaws...not seeing anything that I think "most people" would see immediately. But dark sweaters like that can be a massive lint- and hair-fest.

Now as to this "Driving you EFFING INSANE." business you speak of. Do you maybe mean, just, like,well, "Opening the car door for you at the already arrived at destination of insanity?" I mean, I thought you already made the drive to Insanity years ago! Mebbe??? lol ;-)

Yeah I have to clean up her sweater too. That was *also* driving me nuts, but not what I was talking about, and already on the list of things to kill. :lol:

Where do you see sensor dust? Can you circle it for me? I can't find it.

And yes. I'm already at the destination, you're right. :biglaugh:

Boy you guys are ruthless. :biggrin:

That's okay, that's what I asked for.

That being said, no one has mentioned it yet. So. I think Im' gonna go make myself a sandwich, put this away for a while, go to work, get up in the morning and write the blog post (after I clean up her sweater and crop the image down, haha).

Most reactions

Back