I noticed that a lot of people use Canon & Nikon.

Which brand of camera do you prefer?

• Canon

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Nikon

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Olympus

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Pentax

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kaleokeruptt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
But I'm a proud user & admirer of Olympus products.
They're efficient & really well built.
Any reason to why Olympus isn't so popular here or to anyone else?

Canon is the easiest to find around here, esp if shopping for used equipment. Olympus is the second most popular and affordable. Nikon stuff can be found but gets premium price, who knows why. I live very rurally and grew up in a family of antique dealers so I am comfortable buying second hand and at auction so I go with Canon equipment as it is what I find the most of.

1/ Don't worry what brand camera you use. The images are in your head, not in your camera.

2/ Someone else did a similar survey very recently but he remembered to include a number of brands you forgot

If you camera can do what you want it to do, that's all matter. :)

For the poll I said Olympus...but most of my gear is Pentax K mount stuff. Some of us use frankencameras.

Any reason to why Olympus isn't so popular here or to anyone else?

When digital started to ease into the market, film photographers wanted a system that was familiar but produced digital images. The olympus offerings during this time where fixed lens units and didn't have the familiar feel reminiscent of film days. It wasn't until 2003 that Olympus put out an interchangeable lens SLR... Unfortunately, the two big guys have already been competing headstrong for several years already AND the new micro 4/3rds system was new, unproven, equipped with small sensors, limited glass (as with any new system) which was slow to be accepted then adopted by the market.

There is a reason why the two big players both had similar strategies.... basically modify their existing film bodies but replacing the film transport with a digital sensor and electronics.

Pentax had a similar strategy but simply put where too freakin slow...... I'm still mad that they shelved the 645D project.

It seems that the 4/3rds system is taking off. I personally have little interest in it as a primary camera but I do admit, I'm interested in one as a carry everywhere camera. I love some of the models being introduced.

It seems that the 4/3rds system is taking off. I personally have little interest in it as a primary camera but I do admit, I'm interested in one as a carry everywhere camera. I love some of the models being introduced.

Not the 4/3rds system.... but the MICRO 4/3rds system. When Olympus and Panasonic got together to bring in the Micro 4/3rds system, they actually brought more value to the table with something that attracts a different type of market. As you said... little interest as a primary but as a carry everywhere camera.

I'll tell you about my point of view:
Canon = Nikon (sorta). Only minor differences.
Olympus, Pentax, Panansonic (lumix) - they are attempting at overthrowing the two giants, put people still don't pick them eagerly for a range of reasons ( lens choice, price...)
Sony- If you don't know how you're going to take photography. Like a hobby, or a hard core pro. If a hobby: they have cheap lenses. If pro - their Zeiss optics are awesome.

Don't worry what brand camera you use. The images are in your head, not in your camera.

Yep.

Yep I know a few photographers eyeing up the 4/3 and micro 4/3 for walkaround cameras instead of their big SLR setup - for holidays and days when photography is not the main element.

In addition some macro shooters love the 4/3 setup because of the increased depth of field that a smaller camera sensor brings with it.

Yep I know a few photographers eyeing up the 4/3 and micro 4/3 for walkaround cameras instead of their big SLR setup - for holidays and days when photography is not the main element.

Also, the short film flange allows the use of many lenses. In my case, K-mount, M-mount, and M42. Pretty fun actually.

In addition some macro shooters love the 4/3 setup because of the increased depth of field that a smaller camera sensor brings with it.

OMG.. I can't believe I never thought of that. Very good point. Time to dig up my ol'fav the 90mm Tamron macro.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back