I picked up my new D60 today first pics, C&C please

Yikes, sorry I asked. Didn't mean to blow up this thread; sorry NATO.

Ok, to all of those who have offered advise thanks it's very appreciated. I have taken what I believe to be a more interesting photo and been working on it here.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum-photo-gallery/149350-pic-slr-dslr.html

As to those whom seem to be going to and fro in this thread, I hate to sound like an ass. However as I am new here I would prefer not to have one of my first threads turn into a flame-fest. I don't want to have people associated me with being a trouble maker.

Thank you all and have a pleasant evening.

does the d60 have a focus motor?

there is no focus motor on the camera body as far as I can tell, (there is no focus screw on the body lens acceptor ring).

Did you happen to shoot either of those through glass? Auto glass? Kind of has that look to it.

Anyway, these kinds of shots are typical for when you get a new camera. We all have and do them, no matter how long we've been doing this. There's not a lot to them, but so what? You're excited, you got your new camera and you're playing with it.

Once you get beyond that, start thinking about what's interesting in the scene before you and how you can creatively capture that. Think about dramatic lighting, interesting angles and perspectives, and what the subject of your shot is.

Keep plugging away, and congrats on the camera!

Thank you sir, I fully intend to. As for the auto glass, that is a negative. I am unsure as to what would cause this effect, my best guess would be my inexperiance with digital photography/post, or the fact that it was foggy.

What metering mode is your camera set to? I always found my pictures came out kind of desaturated looking when I was on evaluative metering. I tend to stick to center weighted or spot metering now. (May cause that "through glass" look, though I felt that Manaheim was joking with the Auto Glass comment)

I'm not sure what bright whites Chrisburke was talking about on the photo of the sign, I can clearly see many different shades on the sign, except for the small border around the 250, which is pretty white (though it's supposed to be, reflective material for easier reading at night)

Not to add any fire to the previous conversation, but something to be aware of: photographers coming to dSLRs for the first time often expect shots to look a certain way. As such, the default settings that get applied to JPGs (and RAW, unless you tell your software to reset everything to neutral) are tweaked to look "pleasing" to the average eye. That means higher saturation for brighter colors, and lower "Sharpness" settings so that older human subjects look less wrinkly.

THe D60 does not have a focus motor.
I also have a D60 and it seems than in auto mode it does under expose everything. Have other people noticed this speciffically with the D60 or is it digital cameras in general? I'm a 35mm guy just getting into digital...that's why I ask.

Most reactions

Back