I plagiarized one of my favorite photos... or I'm as cool as van Gogh

DocFrankenstein

Clinically Insane?
Reaction score
I am so disappointed. This is my picture, which I thought was kinda cool.

Apparently the suicidal bastard made pretty much the same painting way before I was born. I've never seen it before... or at least I don't remember seeing it.

When I was taking the picture I saw the guy who seemed to be in pain and selfishly thought: "ah-ha! what a perfect photographic opportunity" I didn't think: "oh, let's rip off van Gogh's On the Threshold of Eternity"

I don't know what I should do with my photo.

I bet if you looked hard enough, you'd find that almost no pictures taken today are "original" in the truest sense of the word.

'Tisn't plagiarism. Plagiarism is willful copying of someone else's work while passing it off as your own. And you'll find that visual themes repeat over and over with a few variations (but unlimited variations in composition).

I would be willing to bet you money, that there are thousands pretty much like this by as many photographers. I think that art has an originality that is hard to copy. For instance my scene of an old grist mill that has been shot a million times from the same angle might at first look exactly like a thousand others but something about it will be unique.

Students are out copying Mona all the time as part of their classes. It doesn't make them a forger till they sign it Leo.....

Yeah I definitely wouldn't sweat it. I don't think the pics are too similiar and even if they were... if it wasn't intentional or trying to pass it off as someone else's work I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back