I play dress up too

LCLimages

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Jazzie, I thought of you the whole time! :lol: This was a nightmare! I failed miserably at the whole strategic wrapping of extra fabrics thing, so I dug out an old pink halter dress I've had a couple years. 2 shots of that and I decided nevermind, I hate my linebacker shoulders, so I threw a sweater on over it. Then, my WIFI kept dropping out and disconnecting my EOS remote app from my camera so I had to go back to my stack-a-teddy-bear-on-3-baskets-on-top-of-a-chair, focus, flip to manual focus, set-self-timer-run-and-hope-like-hell-I-stand-in-the-right-place method :lol:

SIXTY shots later... I persevered though, because my life is pretty sad right now and I had nothing better to do, and I was not gonna do my makeup and braid my hair for nothing! It's a shame I can't do anything about the Resting Bitchy Face (youtube it...) I was born with because in the end, I think I wound up looking awkward and self conscious which is exactly how I felt :biggrin-new:

A smile would definitely have gone a long way to making this a stronger image, but self-portrait frustration is a recognized medical condition among photographers, so it's not the end of the world. Lighting and focus are very nice; I would have preferred a bit more exposed right hand, but overall, I think you did a nice job.

Self Portrait Frustration. Yes, nailed it! I love that :lol: Thanks!

Pretty good result, I'd say. I agree with John about the hand.
A shutter release cable (around $10 to $20 on Amazon) relieves much of that selfie frustration. :D
(Or if you are relatively well off, a wireless remote shutter release.)

I know I need a remote shutter of some sort, would be helpful but I'd still have to get focus set. I love the concept of the EOS remote app for it's ability to basically be portable live view, but wouldn't ya know - my studio is on the opposite end of the house from my wireless router and apparently up here in BFE, that's far enough for my signal to drop out. :BangHead:

I think you did a nice job as self portraits go. You look uncomfortable to me though how you are leaning. To me it looks like you are leaning back. Makes me think of that song, "Lean back, lean back!" I think that's the hook and not the title. Lol! :)

I know I need a remote shutter of some sort, would be helpful but I'd still have to get focus set.
I don't know about Canon but my Nikon auto focuses with the cable the same way as pushing the button. :D

That's pretty awesome. But wouldn't I still have to be sitting in the right spot so a focus point hits my eyes?

That's pretty awesome. But wouldn't I still have to be sitting in the right spot so a focus point hits my eyes?
Yes, but you can block that in with your stuffed toys. Put a mark for your feet, and the toy stack will be at the same height as your eyes, so remove the toys and stand on the mark. You might miss it a few times, but you're going to increase your chances by standing in the correct spot.

BTW: Does your camera have the option of firing the shutter with an infra-red remote? I have one, and there is a setting in the camera menu for a 2-second delay, which is enough time to palm the remote and either smile or grimace, as is your choice.

The Nikon IR remote costs about $15.

BTW: I like your "bitchy resting face".

Last edited:
Yes, but you can block that in with your stuffed toys. Put a mark for your feet, and the toy stack will be at the same height as your eyes, so remove the toys and stand on the mark. You might miss it a few times, but you're going to increase your chances by standing in the correct spot.

BTW: Does your camera have the option of firing the shutter with an infra-red remote? I have one, and there is a setting in the camera menu for a 2-second delay, which is enough time to palm the remote and either smile or grimace, as is your choice.

The Nikon IR remote costs about $15.

Haha, my smile looks like a grimace I think. Ever seen that episode of Friends where Monica and Chandler go to have engagement pictures taken and he can't smile at all? That's me!! :lol: I think it has an infrared remote option. I've browsed Amazon for them. I use the 2 second delay when I use my EOS Remote app but was using the 10 second when I had to get up and go push the button myself. I do the X-marks-the-spot thing, oh yes! And thank you!

First off, HELLO GORGEOUS! You look beautiful here. Sure a smile would have been "prettier" but this expression really makes me wonder what you're thinking. I don't mind it at all. I love your background. beautiful colors.
Second, I nearly squealed in delight when I read this thread title.
Third, Too bad we don't live closer, then we could play dress up together and not have to worry about self timers, but since we don't I suppose all I can do is offer my focusing method. I don't have a remote so what I have been doing is marking my spot on the floor with a nickel I can stand on, placing a tripod/lights and set to my height over the center of my marker focus on that and then move it. Focus hasn't really been an issue since I started that. Then I set my camera to take like 10 shots at a time.

As for the wrapping, I tried it with a different piece of fabric and it didn't go well at all, no one will ever see those photos lol! Luckily I was only photographing the dress before hair and make up in case it didn't work!

Good lighting and a nice background that coordinates very well. I love the angle the face is presented to the camera at! Good facial expression too, complex and not simple, not easily decoded. I scrolled the image down a bit...wanting to see how it looks with the open sweater and the underneath cream-colored shirt removed...looks even better with the shirt part obscured. Pretty darned nice!

I'm way late to this party so all comments have been made. Here's a link to a wireless Remote I use.
vello shutterboss | B&H Photo Video
FWIW I have the $100 one and it is great! Ken (480sparky) wrote a great review on this particular wireless remote. The only exception was that it's for Nikon. Still though, should be the same.

Most reactions

Back