I purchased my Canon EOS 7D, now I need lens. Help.

Lens preference

• Total voters
i would just get a 50mm 1.4 and be done w/ it

gives you speed and you can use it for a lot of stuff

Hi,

Macro Lens
1st choice : EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Alternative: EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro

Standard Zoom Lens
1st choice : EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Alternative: EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Telephoto Zoom Lens
1st choice : EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Alternative: EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM

Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens
1st choice : EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Alternative: EF 100mm f/2 USM

I'm digging the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro or EF 85mm f/1.8 USM based on what I read.

Thanks!

I have the 55-250 I get good resolution shots but the slow aperture really hurts if you want to us it for action and it does have problems focusing some times. I tried out a used 70-200mm f/2.8 none is very fast focusing and it easer to get fast shutter speeds because of the 2.8 aperture. I all so think the resolution is a little better but can’t really tell unless you put the pictures side by side. If it was me I would buy one lens for now and get a really good L lens. you can get them about half priced used on eBay just make sure they have a good pic of the lens and the seller has all good feed back. If you have money left over you may want to go for the 18-135

the 55-250 does a decent job on macro shots when I get home I will post a few of mine I took with the 50-250

Last edited:
x

Last edited:
my one piece of advice is to buy a used lens. You can find really great ones all over the web. Why buy new and lose the money.

^^^ I bought my 17-85mm and 10-22mm used. They work great and saved me a lot of money.

x

Last edited:
The nifty 50 1.8mm is always a steal at under 100 bucks so that's a no brainier but for a walk around make sure you remember when buying most USM lenses they are made for a full frame camera not cropped like the 7D (7D is a cropped sensor if I am not mistaken) so your lens will appear tighter then what it would on a full frame camera like a 5D, 1D or a 35mm film camera, this is important to consider when buying for an APS-C sensor camera.

ALIAS

The nifty 50 1.8mm is always a steal at under 100 bucks so that's a no brainier but for a walk around make sure you remember when buying most USM lenses they are made for a full frame camera not cropped like the 7D (7D is a cropped sensor if I am not mistaken) so your lens will appear tighter then what it would on a full frame camera like a 5D, 1D or a 35mm film camera, this is important to consider when buying for an APS-C sensor camera.

ALIAS

all of the lenses are marked that way. Even the EF-S lenses require the conversion factor if you want to compare what it would look like through a full frame camera.

You've got a great body ... camera body anyway... don't waste it with mediocre lenses.
I'd seriously advise you only go for two lenses and double your budget for each lens. It may mean you're not brilliantly equipped for every kind of photography, but it will take time to learn how to get the best out of each lens anyway ... anything else you need can wait for the future.

ALIAS

1D is not full frame 1DS is

x

Last edited:
x

Last edited:
Basically you have to decide what is best for your needs

Probably the best advice you got there - however deciding without much experince under your belt is not an easy thing; especailly as you have rather a wide idea of where you want to start from.
I would say go for your 1st choice in standard lens :
1st choice : EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

It might not have the wide apertures that options like the 85mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 or 1.4; but it will give you a good range of focal lengths and a chance to get used to them. From there you can start to develop your shooting skills - get some proper real world understanding of the apertures, focal lengths as well as how you generally find yourself shooting and what subjects you end up gravitating toward.

From there you can start to build up a better idea of what lenses you want as well as what level you want them to be (price).

You say you want to do fashion,portrait, architecture and landscape the lens i would recommend is the 50mmF1.4, fast for fashion, just wide enough for landscape, perfect for portraiture, will just manage architecture if you need to zoom walk forwards or backwards

Most reactions

Back