I purchased my Canon EOS 7D, now I need lens. Help.

Lens preference

• Total voters
x

Last edited:
x

Last edited:
Update: I returned the camera body (7D) back and re-ordered the camera online because I found a better deal that comes with the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens--saving me money to buy a second lens! So I've got the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens in the bag, which other lens do you recommend?

EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Nice I like that lens! I have it myself, great walk around lens. I would go for a wide aperture next like a 35mm or 50mm in a 1.8 or 1.4 etc...

x

Last edited:
x

Last edited:
A lot of people will tell you to stay away from EF-S, that some zoom lenses are only good on full bodies (the 28 or 24- 105 135, etc).

But seriously, unless you are planning to go full frame (which I doubt considering you JUST bought your camera), you shouldn't worry too much about it. Lenses hold their value well and you wouldn't lose too much if you had to sell in case.

I also remember that 3 or 4 years ago people kept saying that Canon was going to abandon the EF-S mount and we were all going to be using full frame in just a couple of years. Well, it's been a lot longer, and as evinced by your new 7D, crop sensor still has a lot of life left.

With that said, I think the 60mm 2.8 is great for light macro work and it is VERY sharp. I'm happy with it. I used to have a 50 1.4, and while great in low light, the ability for macro with the 60mm sort of makes up for it. The focal length for it is also very nice for portraits, and at 2.8 you should have nice bokeh. (unfortunately vignetting IS quite noticeable at 2.8 though)

Anyway, the 28-135 I still use a lot, and eventually I will move up to a 24-105 f/4. It is not very wide on the crop body, but it is still quite usable, and if I need wider I just pop the 10-22. :) For a starter lens I certainly recommend it. Stopped down and with the IS it's given me pretty great results. It's just not on par with the L class.

I'm looking to get an all-around lens that's going to be practical and good

Macro Lens
1st choice : EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Alternative: EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro

Standard Zoom Lens
1st choice : EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Alternative: EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Telephoto Zoom Lens
1st choice : EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Alternative: EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM

Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens
1st choice : EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Alternative: EF 100mm f/2 USM

Thanks!

Are you thinking of getting 1 lens for each category? Or just 1 lens to be your "all around" lens?

Your post is a bit misleading, you say you want an all around lens. If you did your extensive research, your only all around lens would be the standard zoom lenses you mentioned above. However you give out probable choices of macro lenses as well as telephoto lenses which would not fit into an all around use.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get a lense in the 17-55 f2.8 range. That would most certainly fit your needs for a beginner.

x

Last edited:
x

Last edited:
i got the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM for my 7D, you should invest on your lens and try to get the best lens you can afford, you got a nice dslr body.

i got the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM for my 7D, you should invest on your lens and try to get the best lens you can afford, you got a nice dslr body.

That's probably gonna be my next lens if I don't get a macro.

my line of interest is fashion, landscape, architecture, portrait photography--and everything in between--but I don't want the lens to limit me.

That's like everything. It's like asking for a warm vegi salad with slices of meet with a ball of sardine ice-cream covered with chocolate sprinkles in beer sauce with flaming tobacco and orange flesh.
That's what a superzoom is.
And like the taste of this pile of crap, is the quality of a superzoom pic.
If that mix would have been delicious, then the world would come to an end.
5-1200mm f/1.0 IS USM Tilt and shift Fisheye, 5:1 macro diffractive optics? 100$ and fits your pocket?
That's a dream.

SO... Anyway: go for a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 17-50 f/2.8.

Seriously? You bought a Canon 28-135 with a pokey f/3.5 to f/5.6 maximum aperture for a 1.6x ultra-high density sensored 7D??? An old, film-era, pre-digital lens on Canon's newest, state of the art digital slr body....hmmm....one of the primary criteria was "practical and good."

The "practical part" went right out the window with the 28mm bottom end.

Seriously? You bought a Canon 28-135 with a pokey f/3.5 to f/5.6 maximum aperture for a 1.6x ultra-high density sensored 7D??? An old, film-era, pre-digital lens on Canon's newest, state of the art digital slr body....hmmm....one of the primary criteria was "practical and good."

The "practical part" went right out the window with the 28mm bottom end.

For some reason, this is the 'kit lens' being sold by Canon with the 7D in the US. That's why I didn't buy the kit when I got my 7D. In other countries, the kit lens with the 7D is the new 18-135.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back